Catfishing under powerlines

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by BILLYP, Jan 12, 2007.

1. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    Why is it that the biggest and the most of the catfish that I have caught out of the Cape Fear are under power lines?
    Does anybody know?

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Billy, Do you know what's in the water under those powerlines? Is there structure? Is there a deep hole? Do the lines cross over a bend in the river? I think what's below you there is more important than what's overhead.

3. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    There are no structures underneith but I think that it is a little bit deeper under them. And one of the sets are inbetween 2 bends. Downriver from Riverside Sports and up river from the East Mountain Dr.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I always catch nice cats under the power lines.. Of course my cousins pond is RIGHT under them :) lol maybe thats a little different...

5. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Thats what im saying maybe the power lines put off some type of sound or pulse that they like.

6. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Could be just some lucky spots you found.

Wheelmobile07

7. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I dont know but every time I see power lines I stop and in about 10 minutes I have a fish on.

8. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've heard of folks that fish under cormorant roost trees (think chum)...could be the same sort of thing.

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Yeah it could I didnt even think about that. Ive heard of that also.

10. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Dave, Good point didn't think about what might be falling from the sky lol.:lol:

11. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Messes with thier heads.(the fishes) Ha Ha

12. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep its a cormorant roost or some other type of bird, on the cable i fish its always coverd with a gang of cormorants and its the best fishn on the river the flat in my pic was from under the cable, ended up with 10 fish that added up to 320# from under the cable last year, the flats hang out cuz all the small carp and other fish waiting for a meal from the birds

13. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    where i fish there is a power line crossing over the lake and when i drift under them i always get hits,fish always action, it may be something to do with the wiers or not but this would be a cool study to do,

14. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the power lines where i fish have a sand bar under them. i seem to always catch brim there when there spawning. maybe thats where their feeder fish are. i know thats where i find the most bait. i also like to find places where there are street lights close to the water which attract bait fish.

15. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    I didnt even think about the street lights thanks i think that im going to try that one this year.

16. ohiocatman62

ohiocatman62 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when I fish the Ohio I might be fishing a spot for 15 20 minutes as soon as a barge comes you start getting bits. might be the hum of the lines.