Catfishing Tonight on the Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Styx, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm new at this, I just joined about a week or so ago. But my buddy and I are going night fishin' tonight on the Missouri river and I would like to know if anyone has had any luck lately and if they did what were you using for bait and any suggestions on if we should fish the channels or wing dikes, etc. I'm hoping to catch the "BIG" one.
    Thanks.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    All I have to say is use live bait. Good luck tonight and welcome to the BOC

3. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    good luck man!!!hope u get a bigun

4. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all welcome to the BOC, The blues have been hitting on Shad! I have caught quite of few the last few days! Drops in the channel is where I have been having my luck! Good luck...let us know how you do.

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    welcome to the BOC Lon.

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome. Good to see another Mo. brother. Let us know whats goin' on on the river.

7. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry everyone. I didn't catch a thing not even a bite. I did use shad. I tried behind several wing dikes. NO LUCK. LOL I'l just have to try again next week. Darn.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hi Lon and Welcome to the BOC. Sir We are glad to have You on Board. Well I'm further up the missouri river than You, I fish the river from around Omaha Nebraska up river to Blenco Iowa, and the Flatheads are starting to turn on this past copple of weeks I know of one #48 pounder and one 37 1/2 incher taken on live and cut gills. I never have had real good luck behind the wing dams, always had better luck on the front side seemes the more active fish are on the front side and in the scour holes off the tips of the wing dikes.Both the Flats were taken in the main channel one along the rocks and one just ahead of a hump they will lay there some times, thats where a good sonar will come in handy when reading the bottom looking ror structure and changes in the bottom riffles and humps. Good luck and keep us posted OK. Your Friend J.D.

9. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Lon, That's some good advice JD gave ya. It's been a little slow on the river around here a good part of the year this year and REAL slow the past couple of weeks. Not sure why but I'm sure hoping they start biting real soon. What part of the river are you fishing? I fish the area between New Haven and Washington Mo., more towards New Haven.
    JD, that's good news, chase some of those big guys down this way will ya? What's the water temp up there now? Surface temp here is averaging around 68/69 degrees.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Glad to have you on board LON. The Flatheads seem to have been biting good on both big rivers lately, so Live Bait should be in your plans. Live Gizzard Shads, Threadfin Herrings (Greenbacks), and mooneyes or skipjacks if you can get your hands on them. The Blue Bite has been hit or miss, and is spotty at best. My best guess is they are in transition for there wintering holes. Once again glad to have you, and we will all be expecting a fishing report. Cuz

11. Styx

Styx New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of my fishing is usually within the first 20 miles of the Missouri river west of the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers. This season has been the best for me. My PB is 40 lbs, but I have caught 2 of them and numerous 20-30 pounders. It's been a whole lot of fun. LOL