catfishing tips appreciated

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tallmanrus, Jul 21, 2008.

1. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Gotta question all. Im kinda new at this -fishing below the dam thing . Really like it BUT is there a better setup to keep out of the rocks ?or just keep makeing more sinkers

2. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I used to fish a lot below l&d 13 i never found a way to keep from getting hung. If I caught a fish and could keep it up i usually got it in otherwise i hung up a lot.Make your first pull hard and reel fast helps also fishing downstream from where you are at helps. Using the claw sinkers with wires rolled up toward eye helps. Using a sinker sacrificer won't keep you from getting hung but usuall will let you catch fish that gets on. otherwise just keep pouring lead.lol

3. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Try fishing upstream of where your casting using a slip-float rig:wink:

4. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I rig enough weight to keep the bait in one spot. I tie a three way swivel three feet above the weight. I attach the weight with 12 lb test so it will break off before the main line snaps. My main line is 30 lb test. I tie a foot long leader to the three way swivel with 30 lb test, and use a 11/0 mustad circle hook loaded with cut shad or big earth worms. I lose a lot of weights, but I catch a lot of fish. Catfishjon

5. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    My Hubby, yanks really hard & reels the line in fast as he can (when river fishing) to try NOT to get hung up in the rocks. Still he manages quite often to get all hung up {LOL}. Think it is partly due to bank/dam fishing....
    That is part of the reason I love calmer waters! LOL That and the fact that I love catching just about anything that will give me a bit of a fight.:crazy: He just loves me to get bored at the river when the water goes down a bit. I walk around looking in the rocks for weights from times past. Helps our budget too!
    Between the current and weight thing at the dam and the rocks and my back I tend to be in the calmer area. The cats have to come visit there sometimes.
    Since its my birthday this weekend DH said we are gettn up bright and early going to a couple spots fishing....Trying I reckon to beat the heat so to speak..But then again he knows me if I am gettn bites I will be planted for the day....LOL

6. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Happy Birthday Glen

Hope ya catch a bunch!

7. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    I have been itching all week. Can't wait!......DH went to Murray Lock and dam today (while I was working) eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww Jealous I was and didn't do very well. But he was checking out spots for me too:wink:
    We going get our stuff ready to go tonight and head out way early. It rained a bit today and cooled things off a bit hopefully we will get a sprinkle or two tomorrow.

8. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    All I can say is SLIP-CORKS.:roll_eyes:

9. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    What's the gear ratio on your reel?

The last time I went fishing on the Arkansas I ran two rods, an Ugly Stik with a Zebco 404 on it and a Rhino with a Zebco 808 Magnum. The Zebco 808 has a higher gear ratio (5:1:4) and it did much better. I still got hung a few times but not near as much as the other one.

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    try slip floats. then you can set the depth and stay off the bottom.:wink:

11. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    First of all i want to thank yall for some great tips . I decided with the basic slip sinker rig and it seems to work good for now . I went out this evening and only lossed 2 weights. Well three- the water at the dam is perfect now and so i decided to cast out near the dam , as soon as it hit the water something hammered it and the fight was on , for about 60 sec and then snap . Dont know what it was but it broke 40 lb . power pro line o well but it sure felt goooooooood while it lasted :smile2: i got only three big drum today but it was so dang hot . A young man down from me was leaveing and had 3 nice blues - one about 15 lbs . ill get them next time . thought yall would like to know
    ps happy b-day glen / glen did your husband do any good there at murry?

12. massa_blake

massa_blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have never found a sure fire way not to get snagged so my sugestion is just keep making weights bud.

13. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    tall use spark plugs with lighter line.when you get hung up if a fish dont break you loose most times you just loose the plug.used plugs are cheep.lol

14. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Well went to the dam last night and only came home with one good channel-about five lbs . Got the setup down for the time -lost no sinkers but lost alot of bait . Dont know if i got the wrong hooks or need a stiffer pole . I think i need to chang both . the hits were hard but just couldnt set the hook on them ? i got the channel because he swallowed the hook . im going to start with different hooks .

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    What kind of hooks and what size are you using?

16. tallmanrus

tallmanrus New Member

State:
    arkansas
    jerry i was useing some #2 strait shank hooks

17. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'm sold on kahles

18. don3778

don3778 New Member

State:
    Walkervill
    Me too fishstick01, I have never had a kahle straignten out. Thats the only kinda hook me or Dad will fish with anymore.

don3778

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like kahle hooks because they are almost as self-hooking as a circle hook, but if you want to set the hook, it won't pull the hook out of the fish's mouth like it would a circle hook. I even tried using kahle hooks on my jugs, but they rusted out after only one season, so I switched them back to Big-Eye trotline hooks. For rod & reel, I almost always use kahles. About the only time I use a circle hook is when I'm dropping a line down into a real snaggy area; the circle hook will hang up less often.

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i started out fishing circle hooks but missed more fish than i hooked------no i wasn't jerking------i let the fish pick it up and run but still missed about half the time. kahles do a lot better job for me personally. the black kahles dont rust as quickly as the bronze and they even make a stainless kahle