Catfishing thru the ice?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 6, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Has anyone caught a cat thru the ice on accident or on purpose? My fishin buddy claims he has caught more than one cat thru the ice!! Is he pullin my bobber or what?

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We never get enough ice to fish through down here, but I have caught some of my biggest fish during the coldwater period here( around 40 degrees), so there might be some truth there.

3. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

HEY YOTEE UR BUDDYS NOT PULLIN UR LEADER IVE CAUGHT NUMEROUS CATS THRU THE ICE MOSTLY IN FARM PONDS AND ALL CHANNELS BUT LAST YEAR IN EVANS LAKE (SE MICH) I CAUGHT A 18.5LB CHANNEL ON A 1 OZ JIGGING SPOON TIPPED W/ 4" CHUB ON ACCIDENT WHILE PIKE FISHING. I WAS USING A MARCUM ELECTRONIC FLASHER THE FISH CAME IN SUSPENDED 15FT OFF BOTTOM IN 30FT. AFTER I CAUGHT IT I MARKED MORE FISH ON THE FLASHER BUT NO BITES, SO I LOWERED MY UNDERWATER CAMERA INTO THE WATER AND GOD AS MY WITNESS I SEEN A SCHOOL OF ATLEAST 50 GIANT CHANNELS 10-25lbs ALL SUSPENDED NOT ONE ON THE BOTTOM, I THINK CATS ARE ACTUALLY QUITE ACTIVE IN THE WINTER BECAUSE IVE CAUGHT THEM W/ WHOLE BGILLS IN BELLY IN JANUARY THROUGH THE ICE IN MY POND. IF EVER IN MICH IN WINTER WILL BE GLAD TO TAKE YOU ALONG.

4. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We do catfishing through the ice up here in MN. We usually have ice 4-5 months out of the year and if your itchen for a cat fix its the only way to go.
    I've only been out once. It was a good time. We got some very nice channels jigging minnows in about 15 20 FOW.
    If the ice is safe go for it. If there are channels they will bite.
    thanks
    Larry

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont suppose you did this at Mille Lacs Lake did ya?

6. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I have caught a few channels threw the ice over the years in Jersey and this past winter I made 4 trips specifically for catfish I caught 3 the second to last time I went. They were small in the 2 to 4 lb range but they were catfish. I did manage a bass of 4lbs or so that day also

7. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    I tryed that winter fishen ,just like on grumpy old men .
    Got drunked up and slid tha outhouse into the lake . heck I darned near drowned
    Bewell CR MULE Florida

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I have caught channels in farm ponds through the ice here in Ohio. Nightcrawlers or cut bait. They are not slow and dormant, these fish come up fighting hard and fat.