Catfishing the Ohio River in Louisville-Need Help

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfish joe, Jan 29, 2006.

1. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    i have been fishing the ohio river in louisville for years and have had so so luck catching the hogs i was wondering if anyone had some tips for me i fish from the bank i fish in strong current and also fish little to no current spots please help me so i can do good this year thanx abunch

2. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Where do you fish on the Ohio? I fish the Indiana side myself. What kinda cats are goin after?

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    1st let me welcome you to the BOC .as far as catchin the big ones in louisville good luck i know very few bank fishin spots there but would recomend the bridge peers assumin you can cast that far or maybe creek mouths if accesable another good spot from what iv heard is below the dam on either side or if youve got transportation travel up i71 for an hour to carrolton and fish below lock 1 or the mouth of the ky river these spot have produced well for me ....good luck

4. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    i thank yall for responding to my message and i am glad to be here on this site............Ifish from downtown louisville from the belle to beargrass creek i fish for all cats

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    be careful how you fish around there for awhile.As you probably heard they had that barge hit the bridge and sink with some chemicals in it.Just a little heads up just in case you didnt know.

6. LouisvilleCatChaser84

LouisvilleCatChaser84 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm only 21 but i have fished the ohio river for many of those years since i began fishing, anyway, the salt river in west point dumps into the ohio and it creates a washout hole that is around 47 feet deep. Holes like these, with big boulders and snags down on the bottom, will often hold some very large cats and alot of them. Other places could be logjams and big boulders on the bank will indicate the same structure out in deeper water from the bank. I use cut gizzard shad, skipjack herring, or sometimes small carp or suckers. The barge tie-off towers a little ways down from greenwood boat dock offer a few deep holes in the slack water behind the towers, fish when water level is about 10'-15' above and be careful or you could catch a mudslide from small unnoticable streams (i know from experience.) Anytime a creek channel runs into the main river channel can be dynamite fishing for trophy blues and flatheads. I've caught 5 fish in 45 min. out of the same hole where the salt river runs into the ohio. 32 lb blue, 29 lb flathead, 22 lb flathead, 12 lb blue, and a nice lil 7 lb flattie. caught em' all on gizzard shad cut about 1 inch above tail and cut up the gut from the stomach to the gills (9 inch shad). Just a few tips you could maybe use or not. hope i could help.

7. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Hey louisville welcome to the bored.Great bunch of guys here. Thanks for the tips.

8. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    welcome to the BOC LCC84 hope ya have a great year fishin this year :thumbsup:

9. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    thanx for the tips LCC84 when i used to fish salt river i wouls fish the bridge or the boat ramp in westpoint

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive heard of many nice fish coming out of Beargrass Creek. Try using live bait like shiners, bluegill or shad. Skipjack would be good for cutbait.

11. catfish joe

catfish joe New Member

State:
    louisville kentucky
    thnx for the info bro's