Catfishing the Neuse River

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Mark J, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Me and member Adam L started looking for a bankfishing spot on the Neuse that would produce good fish earlier this week.
    The first day we just did some scouting and walking.
    Day 2 we came back for some fishing on the way home from work and Adam caught a small flathead in the 3 pound range.

Yesterday on day 3 we go back in still with not a preferred bait but what is available on limited timed frame that we have to fish. That would be what some people call a large minnow but I call a medium. 2-3" minnows.

After a couple of hours of no bites here is what Adam hauled out on one of those anorexic minnows in 55 degree water and weighing in at exactly 20 pounds.

Attached Files:

2. HHinNC

HHinNC Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Outstanding ! Hope you have a great season !

3. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Excellent. To bad you couldn't get more like that one.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    There will be plenty that size and larger yanked from that stretch of river.
    We haven't even carried real bait yet and it is still a tad early for good flatheading.

The next few weeks things should pick up dramatically on the river.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice flathead, looks like you guys came across a good spot.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Great fish, at least they are starting to bite. I am probably going to try for some flats today if I can find some bream.

7. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Adam, I'd love to call ya something,but, can't do it here. LOL
    Good catch you guys. (Making me more jealous!)

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We descended on the spot today with some shad we netted .
    There were 2 blues caught, 1 bowfin, and a turtle that would probally go 20 pounds. There were also 3 fish lost.
    The largest blue weighed in at 22 pounds but I must admit a tree caught that one.
    Being that this is a new spot for us we fished 6 rods and went down river about 75 yards and set a limb line. As the sun dipped below the trees she hit the limb line and it was on.
    The limb lines make good scouts and save valuable fishing time in determining the potential of a new spot.
    That one limb line showed us today that we need to make a few alterations in how we attack this stretch of river. It could have taken us a few more trips out there to come to that conclusion otherwise.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Cattale and I were thinking about you and wondering if you went after this cold front came in.

Good to see you didn't get skunked.

We were swinging coils at Oak Island in the 50 deg weather with 15 to 20 mph winds blowing out of the NNE.