Catfishing the Lake of the Ozarks

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by RiverOtter, Jan 25, 2006.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When i fish the Ozarks i just drop a line off of my dock (about 20 feet down) and weight. I use goldfish and they seem to catch the 1-3 lb channel cats but that's it. Do you have any idea on how to catch the big blues? Is there flatheads in the Ozarks?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Jake welcome to BOC.:) If you have a dock on LOZ the first thing I would recommend is for you to put Crappie beds around your dock. Secondly, In this lake the best bait I have found is fresh shad and bluegill...whole or cut. If you can get shad in the 6-8" range, fish them whole or the heads with a large portion of the gut pocket attached. The small shad work well also but those smaller channells you talked about will be after them. Blues in this lake can be fickle and what works one day may not work the next. There are some nice Flats in this lake and puttin structure such as Crappie beds around your dock will provide structure and forage for them. Target them with Live bluegill in the 4" range. Although I have caught all 3 species on goldfish in this lake, natural forage such as shad and bluegill has been the key for me.

Good Fishin'

3. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I had a friend used small bluegills off his dock and caught one blue in the 80# range. He fished off the back of the dock toward the deeper water and let it sit out all night.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I caught a 13 # blue at the lake of the ozarks on a line tied to a dock with a goldfish. i left it there overnight. iand for the next few days i was there i caught 1 or 2 a day that were about 3 to 5 lbs.:D

5. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    come to my dock and fish, the fish are bigger :p

6. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    I watched a show on tv and they had a catfish guide on Lake of the Ozarks.. They were fishing in some current close to a dam somewhere. and fishing the edge of the river channel. They caught 20 or so blues the biggest was about 30lb, useing cut shad.

7. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Trey I didn't see the show but it would have had to be below Truman Dam or Bagnell Dam. Both are good places, Lake of the Ozarks and Truman Res. Both hold a possible world record cat IMHO.;)

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    30 pounders are considered small. The channel edges are very productive. I think its a matter of time Ken before a record blue or flat comes out of Truman and LOZ. I know several have come close to it. Maybe during this years gathering one of us will get to tangle with him.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Troy it probably won't be me cuz I usually fish in the lighter side..ie Quantum Big Cat Medium action most of the time...but then I fish for the challenge of catchin bigger fish on that lighter stuff...YA GOTTA BELIEVE!;)

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I caught a 102 pound spoonbill on the Osage and that was around five years ago.
    The state record spoonbill is 136# plus some change.
    I'm sure there are several catfish in here just as big.
    Both lakes are capable of producing records on any given day.

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    I have to agree, we here in Missouri are blessed with all kinds of trophy cat fisheries. It's only a matter of time before the records fall to someone here. I truly believe that. If I ever get my boat replaced I will tackle up and go on the hunt myself. Until then I am happy with just being able to live down here and enjoy catchin what swims by.....who knows, stranger things have happened. Maybe just maybe! Patience, patience, patience!;)