Catfishing the Kalamazoo River

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by MattyGfishing, Dec 27, 2008.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    What is the most affective rig for fishing the Kalamazoo River (Hook Size, Bait, Sinker Weight, Line)?

2. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    The most effective rig depends on your target, I guess.
    For small & medium channels, as well as small flatheads, you have lots of options. 10 to 30 pound line, #6 to 2/0 hooks, 1/4 to 1 oz weights, slip rigs, 3-ways, nearly anything will work.
    Once you're going after fish in the teens & twenties on up, you're going to have to step up in all categories. There's some pretty big cats in the Ka'zoo, so here's what I'd go with if I was you, JMHO:
    -8'-9' rod with enough backbone to hurl better than a half pound of bait & weight
    -30 to 80 pound line, preferably braid because it doesn't coil like heavy mono does
    -a three way swivel with a 20" 10# leader to a 3 or 4 ounce pyramid sinker and a 12" to 16" leader of 30 or 40 pound mono to an 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook stuck through the back of a good size sucker or bluegill.

Put the rod in a sturdy holder and set the drag so the fish can pull line out without too much resistance and sit back.
    Good luck!

3. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    Thanks this was very helpful.