Catfishing the Chattahoochee River near Columbus, GA

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hello GA brothers. I am seeking information on fishing the Chattahoochee around Columbus. I am sure that most of you know I will be down there soon and would just like to stay as updated as possible.

Please post any/all fishing reports for this area. I would also be very interested in meeting BOC Brothers that fish around here.

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Sorry brother but I don't know a thing about the river down around Columbus. Wish I could help ya. I'll keep my ears open though.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I had some light succes near the riverwalk close to Victory Drive in the summer.
    Saving up funds to return to that area. :cool2:

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It seems amazing to me that no one knows anything about the Chattahoochee around columbus, GA:cool2:.

Thanks fishingwestpoint and PhillyCatcatcher4 for your input!

Come on brothers help me out, I am trying to get a head start here. :smile2:

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Shane,

I always put in the boat at Bull Doggs Bait and Tackle on victory drive, rotary park. From there run right up to the low head damn and collect bait, "Blue Gill and Skip Jack".

Be careful, there was some duzzy boulders in the water.

After you get your bait you can pretty much run for miles all the way up to river park and the Army park.

My biggest out of this section of river was around 14 pounds, but I have saw people pull 30(s) out of her, and some monster gar.

There is one very deep hole half way to River Park, depth used to go to 40 feet, always had good fish there.

Been since 1998 since I fished there, but I did have fun ;)

6. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Betty(s) biggest Striper came from 13th street bridge, and I netted a 30 pound one in the same area.

Just remembered :crazy:

7. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I would fish an area called river bend, go in behind the air field and go across the bridge, I can not remember the road name/number but I think it was in Alabama, not far from the jump school would do the students jumps. Lot of deep holes and flats and drop offs.

8. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    TopSgtLawrence is right, it is some nice hole around river bend. I have a friend that caught a 18 LB flatty amonth ago. A 18 LB might not sound big but its not suppose to be any flat heads in this part of the chattahoochee. We had a small tournament up there Nov 15th, the team that won weighed 5 fish @56 LB with the biggest @ 33 LB.

9. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I wish I could help you. Are you going to Fort Benning? May be best to ask the locals after you arrive and research by the internet. I spend time in Ga often and is looking for fishing areas all over from Middle Ga to East and West Ga.

10. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN

I have fished this area as well and have had decent success. My knowledge base is so much better (because of this site) now that I am excited to see what kind of success I can have now.

You mentioned a tournament?? Is this regular and is there a local club. I will be down there next month and would like to find one.

11. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    hey brother hilljack, I fish the hooch a lot last spring there was a 40# flathead caugth on my boat. Best place to fish in spring is the dam at the river walk from the bank or boat. There are big blues & flatheads there best bait skipjack & yellow tail. Fish the rocks & deep holes from the Alabama side :smile2:

efrith

12. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Bass Pro Shop is having a BIG Cat Quest tournament on lake Eufaula this year.
    Going to be fun. :smile2:

efrith

13. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    I from the columbus area, fished the hooch all my life.I caugth lots of big cats on the hooch. River bend is the best allround place to go for big fish.
    uchee creek is the boat ramp to use to get there or river bend park both are good ramps.

efrith

14. rodney07

rodney07 New Member

State:
    Richland Ga.
    You seen any info on this tournament, any dates. Any info would be grateful. thanks Rodney

15. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    No date yet but it was at lake point last March. As soon as I hear I'll give more info.:cool2:

efrith

16. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    thanks for all the info. i will be down in that area at the first part of Feb. I look forward to seeing you on the river.

17. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    A freind of mine told me that the tournament was comming back to the lake so I called lake point park, they said they don't have a date yet but said it was most likely march. maybe we will meet when you are here this Feb. don't forget to fish the rocks & deep holes at the dam use skipjack or yellowtails. the bait is not quite there yet, but from bulldog ramp you can find them down stream at the water plant about 2 miles or pet cematery near fort benning try yuchee creek also

efrith

18. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks again, I have never fished with skipjack down there and it is pretty exciting to think they are available. You are full of great and exciting info. Once I get settled, I will shoot you a message and we can fish together.

Also, are there any local clubs?

19. catmanoneufala

catmanoneufala New Member

State:
    seale,alabama
    i would love to get in on that tournment just to show up the pros....well if its a open tournment

20. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I may need a partner, BCQ are all open events.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.