Catfishing the best since 2006

Discussion in 'NORTH DAKOTA RIVERS TALK' started by CaptainBrad, Jun 12, 2009.

1. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The bite right now is the best I have seen since 2006 only this time the fish are bigger. They are just terrorizing the the baits and man the fight is fun. Many fish over 20 pounds being caught. If you are not geared right for these brutes you could be in trouble. unreal!!!

Attached Files:

2. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    And the bite just keeps getting better. The numbers go up and the fish grow. Simply amazing. Such a special time to catfish.

3. darrindietrich

darrindietrich New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    hey captain... new to fishing the red... and just wondering if you have any pointers on tackle setups, and baits to use. We got a few on frogs from gander mountain down here in fargo.... and so far... any time we've tried cut goldeyes, haven't really been nailing them. Since the red has been so high lately... went out to the sheyenne last weekend and nailed some goldeyes and caught myself a nice fighting cat (really odd looking cat too btw) and he was caught off a small sucker minnow... but... got any othere tips? Been using 50+ lb test line..... tri-swivel... 10' leader for my weight... and 12-18'' leader for my 6/0 octopuss hooks...... got a decent rod and great reel .... just wondering what else I gotta know?!? this is all shore fishin too.... thanks!

4. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    The past few weeks have been difficult with fast rising and fast falling water, not to mention the spawn has been going on now for at least 2 weeks. All these things make for difficult fishing.

Now as things level out and the spawn is winding down I would first downsize your hooks to a 3/0 or 4/0 just to protect the smaller fish. I would add sucker to the list of baits as that is the only thing I've used so far this year. in the faster water shorten your snells to 10-13" and they can get longer as flows slow down. Look for spots near drop offs where you can see the faster currents meeting the back eddys and put one line right on the line and one deeper into the faster current. This will help in finding the hogs. Move as much as you can and you will be fine. To keep the bait in the zone don't be afraid to use heavier weights.

5. darrindietrich

darrindietrich New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    thanks brad.... I got out last weekend... and tossed in some 10 inch suckers.... my buddy caught an 11 lb 5 oz on a massive frog... and I caught (my profile pic) 11 lb 2 oz... biggest cat I've ever caught, and damn it was fun! was a slow day considering the fast high river right now... I caught it right around a bend, behind some downed trees that made the current near nothing...... It was awesome... and thank you for the tips!

6. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Nice fish. It is only the beginning. Big bait = big fish but I always like using cut baits about 1 square inch for the most part. It sounds like you got the location thing figured out. as the currents drop move in front of the snag and get deep in. You will lose some gear but the rewards will be bigger than a few lost hooks.

CB