Catfishing Techniques

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by kypoolsharky, Jul 29, 2007.

1. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If fishing in a lake from the bank do you guys keep your line tought or do you give it slack allowing the fish to run with it a bit. I heard that some catfish will be spooked if they feel any pressure. Also I would like to know your techniques for tying hooks. Do you use a leader line with a swivel or do you simply tie your hook on without anything?
    Thanks
    Sharky

2. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    a few questions that may help with your decision,

How large of lake,
    how deep are you fishing in
    bait used
    what type of cover where your fishing?

does the lake have much current
    time of day

sorry to be so flat for your answer,

3. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    700 acre lake. 12-15 ft deep. Chicken Liver. Heavy cover (downed trees etc.) No current and typically late evening.
    Sharky

4. catman73

catman73 New Member

State:
    Lawrence Kansas
    This is one that you will get a multitude of answers on. So here is what I do and you can take it for that. No matter what type of bait that I am using I use this setup. I use a barrel swivel and put the weight on before I put on the swivel. Then I attach a leader that is anywhere from 24 to 36 inches long. then the hook. For all the knots I use what I think is called the improved cinch knot. Basicly just twist and tie. The reasons that I use this setup are that the swivel keeps the line from twisting as much and holds the weight away from the bait. Keeping the weight away from the bait should allow for some slack in the leader end of the line and allows the bait some movement. Dont know if its what you would call the best way to do things but it seems to work. The only thing that I have against this is that there are so many knots. I know that that is the weak point in this setup but it hasnt seemed to cause me much trouble. Hope that helps.

5. RSVBill

RSVBill New Member

State:
    kentucky
    What I might do,

first find some cover that you would like to fish near, take an empty pop bottle and tie a small piecxe of line to it about 6-8 feet long and put about 1 oz of weight. Set this on the outter side of the cover and watch it for a few minutes to see where it drifts to, once you see then plan to fish in front that area,

i would use a slip bobber making sure to hit the bottom with the bait this may take a few cast to get right.

be aware if the cat hits he will most likely run right to the cover so be ready.

thats my idea for me to fish it. i sure everyone will be different but one thing if you take a little from us all, you will have several different ways and lots of tackle :)

good luck

bill

6. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I like th idea of th coke bottle float to see where th current takes it, not sure if slip bobber is best tho. I use slips w/live shad or perch, sometimes w/cut bait, but not livers.
    I have, however, used fixed bobbers for livers, and have had some real good luck in a few spots, below dams, and at marinas, but otherwise I fish off th bottom like catman73, but snell my hooks to my leader. I use either circle or khale hooks for this, and some slack, not too much. I also switch out different sizes of hooks to, always listen to th fish, if u r not gettin hit, then try something else, and this place is a plethera of information,EVERYBODY on here will tell u that, try as much as u can from everyone who gives any advise and see what works best for you in your situation. Something I have found out is that if u present th same bait th same way everytime, th fish will stop biting, always change it up
    what works today may not work tomorrow. hope this helps.

7. kypoolsharky

kypoolsharky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for all the advice. Looks like Catfishing is experimental and dependant on the conditions/environment you are fishing in. So I will experiment and see what happens.
    Sharky

8. kingdawes

kingdawes New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I am fairly new but I usually keep my line tought it seems to work for me. Now what I do thought is keep my drag pretty loose that way you see when he gets it because of the tension on the line. He also runs with it because of the drag. I use circle hook with doing this. When fishing lakes I try to find coves. I set up right at the begining of them and cast out right in front of them. I willl work my way in untill I get a bite

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp New Member

State:
    OH
    Depends on the current and waves. If the lake is calm - bail is open. If there's some pull on the line I'll keep it tight. Just remember to keep an eye on your poles. IME, if the catfish are finicky they'll spit your bait out if they feel a tug - but usually are only finicky when the water is calm.

10. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Bait feeder on with small amount of slack.