Catfishing Techniques?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Ellis, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Anyone got any catfishing techniques? I promised id have a freshly caught catfish grilled on monday for my dad and my last couple runs today were bad. I only caught 1 walleye in 6 hours of fishing. Where im at theres mainly blues and channels.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Are you fishing a lake or river? Do you fish from bank or boat? And what do you have for bait?

3. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    A lake, bank and chicken liver. But i can get anything else

4. Gabowman

Gabowman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Think about what is the natural bait for fish in your area. IF it's shad or herrin then that's what I'd use as cutbait. Also, I always do pretty good on catalpa worms when they're in season. Chicken livers are OK if you dont mind the mess.

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well your limited to what you can do, but if it were me I would make some throw lines about ten hooks on each one and bait up with liver, shrimp,skipjack,and shad or goldfish. Find some places that look good to you and give it a try. Make sure they are legal where you are.

6. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    or you can always run down to the wal-mart:smile2:

7. wishiwasfishin

wishiwasfishin New Member

State:
    kentucky
    how about some shrimp or try soaking your chicken in some kool aid.

8. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    ehh... whats throw line? is it attaching lines to your one on swivels? Im pretty new to fishing, I havent really gotten into it as much to care what im using:tounge_out:

9. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Okay get a spool of nylon trot line, when you find a spot you want to try tie the end to a tree or limb or something strong on the shoreline. Move down the line so the first hook will be about 15 feet out into the water, then about every 2 feet tie ten loops in the line about 6 in. long. at the end of the main line tie a brick or something heavy enough to hold the line on bottom. Make a loop in each loop and put a hook in and pull tight, bait the hooks, pick up the brick and throw it in. When you go back to check it pick up the line pulling it in while walking it along the bank.

10. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Sounds like a real good setup to me RIP!

11. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    ahhhh ok, thanks.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Try shad and bream.

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Well did you try it? Did you do any good? Did you understand how to make the throw lines?

14. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    RIP,What kind of hooks do you recommend?I use trotline hooks,but sometimes my bait is gone.I'm thinkin it is turtles though.thank you.

15. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If your Dads like me he would rather have the Walleye

16. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Used it and still didnt catch a cat. I just bought one from the store and cooke dit up. He doesnt know :big_smile_2:

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Hey yall, what's the beat way to hook a shad, so it wil stya alive for a while?
    I'm not havein much luck with em livin long.

18. Jones

Jones New Member

State:
    TX
    Hey, Ellis. Now you know that store run you made is going to haunt you until you get back out there and catch yourself a catfish. They're calling you, Ellis...

The way RIP described is how I caught my first catfish about 30 years ago. Don't quit!

Jones