Catfishing technique from In-Fisherman

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by tmramrod91, Jul 9, 2008.

1. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'm just catching up on all my fishing shows on my dvr from being out of town lately, and saw on In-Fisherman TV where they wade some small streams and do "hand to hand combat" with channel cats as Doug Stangie calls it.

They just take an 11' ugly stik crappie rod, tie about 6 ft of line on it, small split shot and a hook with some cut sucker on it. They wade to log jams/holes, drop the bait in and pull out some nice channels.

Has anyone here ever tried it? It looks like a lot of fun, but I'm not sure what kind of stream near me (kc area) would be good for wading/this kind of fishing.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Yeah I do that every once in awhile. Not often enough. It is fun and most of the time you are by yourself and have complete peace. You also cover alot more water and get to see alot more scenery. If you find a place to give it a shot(Id find a big creek) wade upriver, that way you dont muddy up the places you are wanting to fish.Also, like Ol Doug, keep it simple. A few pieces of split shot and a few hooks and you are set.Its a great way to use grasshoppers! Get a container that clips to your belt to hold the bait, that way all you have to hold is your rod.

3. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Do you just use a regular pole? I have my 7 ft catfish rods (ugly stiks) that i could use. I have some fly rods (he said he used to use those) but those are a bit too valuable to me to snappin one on a snag or horsin a catfish out.

4. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Your rods will work. I like to use a medium action for sensitivity. I'd just use the reel instead of a piece of line tied to the rod. If you really want to have some fun find a willow branch and use that as a rod. Do it old school.:smile2:

5. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Thanks for the help. Might have to get out this weekend and give it a shot.

6. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    No problem and good luck. Be careful and watch where you are walkin, holes can pop up on ya.:smile2: If you like to fly fish this is right up your alley.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    What rivers are you doing this on?

8. tmramrod91

tmramrod91 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I have no idea yet. I'm new to the KC area so I dont know of many small creeks, etc. Probably look on some maps for some possibilities.

Any suggestions?

9. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont know if wading downstream is any better that upstream.i do a lot of wade fishing and some of the places i go i have to go both ways and i havent realy seen any differance.i use an 8 foot m spinning rod with 15 lb.test fireline with shakespeare spin reel.

10. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    As a kid we used a canoe and paddled up stream a couple of miles then drifted back. When we found a promising site we'd toss out an anchor and fish for a while then move on. A buddy of mine didn't even have a pole,..he just used a hand line, and caught just as many as anyone else. We used grasshoppers, crickets, grubs, worms...anything we didn't have to buy.:big_smile:

11. KSCats

KSCats New Member

State:
    Neosho Rapids, Kansas
    You can get a good 10 foot bamboo pole at walmart for about $4. I never hooked in to a big one with it but it does pretty good for 1-3 lb channels. I haven't tried it in a creek either, just in a farm pond. I got them for the kids to catch perch but they have caught quite a few channels on them too. They come ready to fish with hook line sinker and a slip bobber. Just dig up a worm or fat juicy grub and catch fish.:big_smile:

12. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Kevin, you should try out that creek by that ramp in DeSoto. I remember asking about that area before and someone told that the creek can get shallow sometimes for a boat. Might be shallow enough to wade, plus its right off the Kaw. I would think that the current through there wouldn't be as much... kind of like that side creek we fished off the walnut last weekend. Also, you can use it as a scouting tool to see if it would be worth us putting in the boat there next time.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    One of those telescoping crappie sticks ought to work with stream wading
    and would be a lot lighter to hold for hours on end. I'd trust fiberglass over
    bamboo because I've found that bamboo splits easy. Length should be about
    10 to 12 ft. for reach and leverage on a good fish. Just rig it with heavier
    line than you would with crappie and swing it into every undercut and root
    ball you walk by. Waders are optional but the smart way to go. Used to
    do it with overalls and feedlot boots, but I was a lot younger then. Only
    real reason I'm not doing it this season is I need to replace my waders. At
    this point in time, I think it might be a long while before I get together
    enuff money to buy a good set of waders. I'm lucky to keep my utilities on!

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a lot of fun, men keep us updated on the results

15. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Where in Desoto is this creek?

16. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
  17. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas

I think there might be one there too, but the one I was talking about is on cedar creek. Look at the map to the east a little bit there's a huge bend kind of looks like a dropper loop. Its at about 83rd and Gardner rd. Zoom in a little and you'll see the square concrete where the ramp is.

18. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    there is a ramp on ceder creek. i was there monday eve/night. aint alot of room but can be worked with. i didnt fish there though, i fished on hat jetty down river a bit on the south side of the river. usin live gills and fishin all over the place i still didnt get any action.

so i just went to downtown kc and found some action :wink::smile2:

19. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas

thats because you didnt take anyone with ya

ya know you are a good guide :wink:

20. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    This is pretty much the same thing I do using the Kayak. Only differance is that I have a ride if I hit a deep hole.

If you want to give it a try you might want to look at the Delaware rive west of Holton 5-6 mile up river from Valley falls.