Catfishing Tackle in South Carolina

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by gatorbait, May 14, 2006.

1. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just curious as to what you other catters in SC are using for tackle. Reels? Heavy Action or Med Action Rods, long or short? Line?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I am in GA but I use baitcasting reels like the Penn Jigmaster 500 and 505 with 30 Big Game Line 7 foot Eglass rods with a fast action tip and in the 30 to 50 pound class

3. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Favorite reels are an Abu and a Johnny Morris. I like a 7' med-heavy graphite or hybrid rod. Used to be a big fan of quantum but have been having quite a bit of trouble with them lately. Currently trying some superlines, we'll se how that goes.

Hey Gator, favorite bait?

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Abu Garcia 5000's, 6500's, and Penn Roddy 175's spooled with Ande 15# or 20# yellow mono on Ugly Stick white catfish rods. Hooks are Gamagatsu circle hooks ranging in size from 5/0-8/0. I use home made "snake/worm weights" on my drift rigs and 50# swivels.

5. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Freash cut bait or Live gill's

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have a pair of diawa catfish closed face outfits, a pair of openface outfits (med action) and a pair of okuma 454s on kingfishing rods. I use the openface ones mostly and so far they have handled 10lbder, etc.

7. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Flaboy, where do you live? I lived in Socastee for ten years, near where Socastee Creek empties into the Waccamaw River.

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    i live on 814 near millpond!

9. SFISHER

SFISHER Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Steve
    Gatorbait, how was the catfish fishing in the lower waccamaw?

10. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Gotta be careful there Sfisher. The best cattin is probably in the middle to upper-lower Waccamaw. Go too low and you end up in semi-developed rice fields and I have never caught any monsters in there. I have caught some decent sized fish in the flooded ricefields, but the cover and bank vegetation is very limited and extremely affected by the tides. The river will rise and lower by as much as 5 or 6 feet when the tide comes in and goes out, something you don't have to worry about as much further up the river. Also the water becomes more brackish and salty the further south you go on the Waccamaw. However, one of my dad's friends caught a 45 lb. cat on the lower PeeDee and it is pretty much the same demographic as the lower Waccamaw. If I had to choose though, I would probably say hit the river around Peachtree right before the Waterway dumps into it b/c it can be hard to fish that waterway with 80' yachts bearing down on you every 15 minutes.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    It can be hard to fish the waterway but it can be Oh so good too.Those brakish water fish are the hardest fightin catfish I've ever caught.

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use abu reels with 6 1/2 ft to 7 1/2 ft ugly sticks or eagle claw med heavy rods. have to big cat rods but dont like them as well. they are spooled with 30 lb cajun line.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I prefer a 7 ft hi-tech rod with a 5.1 gear ratio with 30 lb. cajun red line and 5/0 circle hook. This is my best all around set up. I use different rods though fo different situations.

14. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    sorry i forgot to say med-hev action

15. Fisher14

Fisher14 New Member

State:
    SC
    You can't go wrong with the Ugly Sticks for cattin'. I actually just picked up a Berkeley rod and it is pretty dang good too. Shakespeare reels are good also.