Catfishing Summation

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Itch2Scratch, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    1. Fish where the fish are(edges of structure, ledges, current and current breaks in rivers and old river channels in lakes)

2. Use live/fresh baits(preferably whats natural in the waters your fishing)..others may work but not as well

3. If your using cut bait..keep it fresh on the hook

4. Rods/reels..the type and size that you are comfortable with to match the targeted size and species of cat your after.

5. Use whatever color line you want but make sure its abrasive resistant. If your uncomfortable with line color use a clear leader.

6. Buy sharp hooks and keep them that way every cast.

7. take the time to make sure your knots are tied properly

8. Be prepared to wait and be patient

I know this list could go on a lot longer because there are so many ways people fish..this is just my the starting basics.

Feel free to add to the list

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great information, alot of people overlook the small things that can cost them a big fish.

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cant argue w/ any of that!

4. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    the simplest thing can lose you a big cat, that list is a good example of things you should do

5. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    9. make sure your drag is set for the appropriate conditions. Ex. Heavier line+lots of cover= hard drag. Light mono+open water= soft drag. ;)

6. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    good starter list,i feel the bigest thing is make sure your line is not kinked or anything where you tie the know,that could weaken the line and snap,you loose your fish

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Another pot to consider is that after fighting a bigger fish its a good idea to cut and retie your rig .. the strain weakens your knots and main line...Ive lost a good fish that way myself

8. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    Don't forget the net:rolleyes:

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Check line for frays or nicks often, cut and retie as needed. this may be obvious but I try to fish upstream from were im gonna cast. casting upsteram not a good idea the more your rig travels before setteling the better chance of getting snagged. I usually cast about 45deg from the bank and hold the line from coming out after hitting the water wait till it settels and stick it in the rod holder.