Catfishing spots - Where do you guys find the catfish at?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was just wondering what you guys think are the best over all spots for all kinds of catfish?

What kind of catfish do you think likes structure the best?

Josh

2. Mr_Catfish

Mr_Catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I believe the best over all spot for all kinds of catfish would have to be tailraces. You can catch all species of catfishes in a tailrace area. They maybe in different areas of the tailrace but they all will be there. And I would have to say flatheads prefer cover more than the other species.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I agree with MR. Catfish i think the flatties like structure the best but all of them like to hang around structure.I find blues and channels like the swirling kind of water better then the flatheads but thats just my experience with them.

4. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    I would have say that flats like structure the most from my experience. If I find an area where there a lot of snags, I'll try to find the edge of whatever I'm snagging and a lot of the times you will find a flat waiting for a meal. Being that I fish mainly from shore its tough to do sometimes but well worth it.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have to agree with Mr. Catfish that all species of cats can and usually are found at tailraces, to add to this so can most other species that are found in the same body of water. Vern

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I look for deep holes on outside bends of the river..I fish the holes in the daytime, and shallow flats next to the holes at night.

7. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I could pore on a in-fishermen type article on that question but, I won't. Flatheads definitely are more cover prone than the other species. I have caught channels and blues in the open water with virtually nothing for cover. I haven't caught a flathead over 2#'S in the same manor.

8. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

Since most of my fishing is done for channels, I look for drop offs, and weed edges while it's day light. I also look for points and downed timber in the ponds that I fish. My two biggest channels have been caught in 4 foot of water at 11pm when they were cruising the shallows for a easy meal right above the drop off.

Ray