Catfishing Situation - What would you do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Flatheadhunter33, May 31, 2006.

1. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Okay, here we go. My fishing buddy says he found a new spot last weekend while I was on duty. We always exagerate (as anglers often do) when telling our stories but, I know when he is telling something legit.
    Right now, the weather is HOT:hell_boy: :hell_boy: and, some of the water ways are starting to dry up. As a result, the fish in this area are congregating in the remaining pools. My buddy says he saw so many in one pool that the surface was literally rippling from the fish movement.
    The temp. out here is supposed to top 110 by weeks end. Once these pools dry out, these fish will most likely get eaten by coyotes and other predators or die out from suffocation. We cant transport them to other lakes or rivers because of prohibiting laws. Now...do you take fish for yourself and others to eat? Do you transport them anyways to other areas where they might live and risk the law? What would you do? We are going to go back to this spot later this week to what's up.

2. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    I'd probably take a couple home for me and the folks but i wouldnt try to transport them cause i wouldnt want to get in trouble. But if you had a small pond or soemthing in your backyard you should transport them into there for sure. Maybe leave a few out for some of those coyotes to eat too.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Ponds are the best solution wheather its yours or somebody elses.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    First, it is great to hear your concern.

Take what you can use, but I would not worry about saving the ecosystem.

God has got it all figured out already.

Those fish will be consumed by something in the food chain. NOTHING is wasted in the wild, NOTHING. They are part of the system, and getting caught in a dried up pool is part of the cycle. That is part of the natural cycle that takes place in many arid places all around the world.

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I would catch a few and keep 'em. But, unless you are positive that the water will dry up completly, I would just leave the fish alone. That is part of nature, as much as I think we all hate to see situations like this.

6. First off your going to need alot of folks to help out.
    Second you need a big pot of hot oil and plenty of corn meal.
    FISH FRY

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would think that those fish would taste so muddy that you couldn't eat them anyway.
    I would find a nice Privately owned lake or pond and transport a few of them to these locations before the elements killed them. There are many critters that depend on this occurance for survival so don't take all of them.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    After scouting the location, you may try contacting your local DNR and see if they have any suggestions.. Just a thought.. may not get you anywhere, but atleast ya tried...

9. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Fish fry. If you'll eat 'em, take 'em.

-Red

10. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    take legal keepers and put them in a private pond, i don,t see how that's illegal. if the fish are legal, and your not allowed to clean fish while still on the water or banks, how can they stop you from taking them home, or to a buddy's pond?

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    eat em eat them all eat em up.

12. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I would have to say take as many as you and your buddy and both famlies will eat. Don't even consider transporting them. Don't take a chance of getting in trouble. Like Wyliecat said, it's all part of the system and nothing goes to waste. It probably happens year after year and will continue to happen. That is the master plan for that body of water.:eek:oooh:

Catch all those things you can and is legal and have big fish fry. Just cut off the fat and laterial line and enjoy the good eating.:big_smile:

13. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    If you got another waterway take them there. If you get stopped just say your taking them home

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thanks every one for the input. We are planning on going back out there Friday. I do want to take a few for myself. My buddy says he saw some really good sized bass swimming around in one hole. i just think it's a shame for these fish to die when we might have gotten a chance to hook into them under normal circumstances. At least the critters will have fat bellies....maybe me too:big_smile: !

15. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'd catch all I think I could eat without wasteing any, and tell all my fishing friends to do the same. The other critters can eat what's left.