Catfishing setup

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by stuckinthehole3, Mar 6, 2007.

1. stuckinthehole3

stuckinthehole3 New Member

State:
    SC
    im new to catfishing and i havent had much luck yet. wut set up do u use? rod? reel? line? tackle? any information would be helpful. i go to clemson but my boat is in greenville. i mostly fish hartwell but wouldnt mind somewhere else since i havent had much luck.

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I'll use small words since you are a Clemson student...LOL!!! :lol:

Seriously, there are two primary set-ups; drifting and anchoring. From these two you can vary how you fish dramatically. Either way you can fish anywhere in the water column.

If you have a boat and a trolling motor, then drifting is the best way to cover a lot of water. Most people drift with baits near the bottom using drift rigs.

Anchoring will usually provide bigger fish, though not always the case, but you are locked to one area.

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
  4. Rottdog

Rottdog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    To begin with it would be very helpful to know what your goals are: Channels, Blues, Flats and how big?
    Basically to start I would just put together a descent Rod and Reel Combo, depending on what you want to spend. Wal-Mart, or any other local sporting goods store should be able to help you out. Not knowing what size fish your after, I would recommend that you get yourself some 20 lb test line and as far as hooks and bait go the sky is the limit. There is many different ideas on hooks and on bait. I would refer you to the B.O.C. library for the rest. There is so much information in there at your fingertips, you'll be reeling them in no time.

Hope some of this helps,
    Garrett

5. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Welcome aboard brother. First if all you probably need to decide what your targeting. Is it 15 lb blue cats in Lake Murrey or 1 lb bullheads in the local farm pond or river or maybe 50+ lb flatheads. Anyway the setup is very different for each of these. Atleast that's my excuse for having so many rods. For smaller cats I love a Zebco 33 and a 6 foot rod. For cats over 10 lbs I like atleast a 7 foot medium action rod and a Ambassador 6000 reel. If you decide to go down to Santee you can always throw some heavier line on that rig and get by with the somewhat undersized rod. Now if I know I'm gong after big fish, I'm takeing "The Winch" baby. That's what I call my Penn 320 GTI. It's not a great casting reel but for big flatheads in heavy cover you don't want to start out too far away from them anyway. Everybody in my boat hates it but me but with heavy line and a still rod, when one bites you've got the power to set the hook and crank that sucker to the boat before he makes it to far into the snags. I love my ambassador reels but in the right application "the winch" in fantastic.

Anyway decide what your fishing for and what you are willing to spend and we'll help you all we can. What you studin' at Clemson?

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    a lot of people wont agree with me on this but this is what works for me.big fish i have 6 reels i use 4 penn 209s 2 spining reels.the 6 rods these reels are on range from 12 to 16 ft.long.thats for bank fishing the arkansas river.i have 4 7 ft.m/h ugly sticks that i use from the boat.i transfer the peen reels from the big rods to the ugly sticks.their slow winding in but they throw real welland i wouldnt be afraid to hook into a real giant.for small cats i have 2 mitchell 308s on 6 ft medium berkly lighting rods.20 lb, test line.that my fishing tools.they work for me.johnnie

7. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Welcome to the BOC,

Let me save you alot of time and Money!! This is all you need being new to fishing, You will need a boat though, just make sure it is fiberglass:cool2:
    Go to Lowes and buy 2 Big Thick Electric Cables, then Go to Pep Boys and Buy a HUGE DEEP CYCLE BATTERY, and connect each Cable the a Huge CrANK and TO EACH Battery Post and drop the other cables in the water and start CRANKING, You will see all kinds of fish float to the suface, then just take your net and Scoop them up. JUST KIDDING.. JUST KIDDING>. WINK WINK>.

What worked for me was calling a Fishing Guide that has been on the Lake for several years, interview him, tell him what you want to do and if could help you. Book a trip and ask him if he would be willing to teach you how to fish for catfish year round and show you differnt rigs to use, baits to use, and willing to take you to the different places, show you how to read a depth finder. Take a video camera so you wont have to remember it all.. Or pictures if you want. But I have learned alot from using guides.. It saved me alot of money in the long run..

Good Luck

Zivetor

8. stuckinthehole3

stuckinthehole3 New Member

State:
    SC
    believe it or not im studying wildlife and fisheries biology at clemson. also belive it or not i have used something similiar to ur "homemade Electrofishing system". Senior year of high school i had an internship with the GA DNR. we went out to all the lakes in northwest GA and did studies using the electrofishing boat. it was very interesting and alot of fun so i think that is why i decided to go to Clemson and study WFB.
    as far as tackle i have that i think would work. i have 2 10' surf fishing rods that each have about 300 yards of 25 lb test on them. i know the rods are a little large but im pretty sure they will work for some cats too. I think with this gear im aiming for some cats in the 10 - 15lb range. i dont know what species im trying to go after probably jsut channels or small blues. i might try to do one of the guide services over spring break or if i can do it then ill get it in over the summer. thanks for all the help.

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    What you have will work fine for fishin off the bank.

10. WhiskerSticker40

WhiskerSticker40 New Member

State:
    SC
    Lenny that was too cool. I was wondering why in the world you were so set on a fiberglass boat...LOl.. Anyway, thanks for the laughs! Good Luck at Clemson and please remember all of us if you go to work at DNR, we might some of your help one day!:roll_eyes:

11. ClemsonTiger

ClemsonTiger New Member

State:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    I usually try fishing near the clemson marina around the golf course with 30lb test power pro line. Does anyone else like to use power pro line? It's really expensive but I love that stuff.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    No I hadnt used it before, I'm hooked on Sufix Seige right now.

13. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use 20 or 30 lb cajun for line on abu reels with 6 1/2 ft or 7 ft rods.