Catfishing setup - What kind of rod should I get for my new ABU 6500 C3?

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by BigCatSteve, May 27, 2006.

1. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    My brother bought me a Abu Garcia 6500 c3 reel for my Birthday and i was wondering what kind of rod you all think i should put it on.your input would be appreciated

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Hang on I hear them coming out of the woodwork.LOL 8' Ugly Stik MH

3. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I figured that would be the most common but i wanted to see what other rods people prefer

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have a Abu Garcia 7000 Big game on a 7' MH Tiger Ugly Stik. Its a perfect match.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    A nice big MH ugly stik.

6. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Medium Heavy ugly Stick. I love all or mine.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I would recomend a 7' m/h tiger uglystick.(the yellow one not the white) These are a bit more expensive but well worth it, IMO!!!

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I don't own one but have used them before and really liked them. After the National Gathering I will buy two or three, but right now I'm saving my money for the NATIONAL GATHERING.

9. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I would defenitly get a Ugly Stick Custom.

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Also consider a "Ugly Cat" rod, $30 at Walmart. I own some of them and they are great rods, had mine for years, only had to replace the tip, and that was the only thing that ever broke on mine.

11. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    you know Kat i have seen them and always wondered if they were good rods or not,thanks for letting me know

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are awesome! The Tiger is also great, but I like the ugly cats a little better then the Tiger I Have, the Ugly Cats are cheaper too.

Good luck!

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    I have one of the Ugly Stick Catfish rods, its probley the best rod ive used for fishing cats.

14. Pillpeddler

Pillpeddler New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Saw an article in an outdoor mag. at the docs office the other day, fella bought 7 rods, MH 6'- 6'6" and proceded to try to destroy them. He used paracord and a bucket that he loaded with lead wts. The Ugly Stik (the cheapest rod) was the only one that survived. He loaded it up with 55# and ran out of lead. I liked'em before, likem better now. Remind me of me... cheap, sturdy & ugly!

15. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I think the perfect rod length is 9'. Out of a boat that would be too much but from the bank it is a nice length. Cabelas has a predator rod that is longer. Daiwa makes a few that come in 9-10' also. I wouldn't buy one that is way too stout. I have had mixed luck with that type.

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I just gotta be different. I'd say to save your pennies and go someplace like Academy and spend 30 to 35 dollars and get a 14 to 15 foot surf rod. Then, go to Walmart and get a heavy action Berkley Big Game rod, then I'd get something like that Zebco Rhino Indestructible. I'd change that reel from one pole to another and just have a ball fishing for whatever I wanted. Don't get tunnel vision. LOL

17. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ive used meat hunter rods for years with no problems 777

18. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    from Wally World.

19. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    If you can afford it try St croix rods.

20. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Shakespeare Ugly stick Tiger rod $55 bucks cant go wrong for the price.As mentioned above if you can justify the cost St. Croix rods are super. also if you want to go first class visit with Jim Gotor (hope i have his first name right) He is one of our Brothers here on the sight B.O.C. and he makes Custom rods That are to die for I understand I'm just finishing up a complete kitchen remodel job for my wife and I should have some extra Daddy points and I'll have me one of those Gator rods SOON!!!! Bigcatman0816.