Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, the conservation department has a catfishing presentation scheduled for June 5 at 1PM at the Burr Oaks Woods conservation area. Philip Brinkley, a DNR naturalist, will be handling most of the presentatation. He was, however, looking for some help regarding the river portion of the presentation so Bluejay was kind enough to throw my name out there. Looks like I'll be helping out by providing a short talk on typical Missouri river tactics for big fish, bait, and gear.

Here is a link to the Burr Oaks section of the MDC site: http://www.mdc.mo.gov/areas/cnc/burroak/

It should be a good, informative day and I'm sure if nothing else watching me stutter in front of a crowd will be amusing :smile1: I'm sure Phil will have some great information and insight into fish behavior and biology - I'm very much looking forward to hearing his presentation.

If you don't have anything going on that day come on out for what should be a fun day of catfishing information and tips!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,123 Posts
BUMP!!
Come on guys. Lets fill the place up. Don't have that many seminars this close to home!!

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Me and Kyle will be there to heckle the hell out of you:messed: Na we would be there for full support:highfive: Don't know yet if Kyle is going to go, but I'm looking forward to it and I know you will do well.

·
Registered
10,863 Posts
I'm plannin on going to the kansas mega that weekend. Film your presentation Brandon, i'll catch it this summer. Two hrs. ain't gonna skim the surface about what you know of the river. Wish i could make it, i would show em how to fleece asian carp.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
CATFISHIN
BURR OAK WOODS
Saturday, June 5 2010
01:00 PM - 03:00 PM

Learn the tricks to landing that whiskered lunker with guest speaker Brandon Stombaugh. We will discuss different methods for catching catfish and when the best times are to go after them. We will even show you how to clean and cook these tasty native fish. No registration required.

Reservations are required by: Saturday, June 5

·
Registered
3,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks John - I'm planning on asking if it's OK to tape my part of it. If so I'll post it to my website.

Jon - thanks - I didn't know reservations were required.

I need to get cracking on my presentation but a big part of mine will be a PowerPoint showing Google Earth views of typical kinds of spots I fish with notes and graphics showing boat and bait position, etc. Other slides will cover screen shots from the graph so folks can see the underwater part of what I look for in a spot.

I'll touch some on bait and gear as well but as most of you know it doesn't make a darn what bait or gear you're using if the fish aren't there to appreciate it. If you're in the wrong spot you might as well be throwing that $6 skipjack in your driveway on a Snoopy pole.

Guys that have fished with me or seen my posts on here know I don't fish for bites or numbers of fish but big fish. It makes for some loooooong boring nights but when it works it makes for some really interesting fishing.

I'm the first to admit I'm far from an expert but I spend a lot of time out there and I'll do my best to share the useful stuff I've learned.

I'm really looking forward to Phil Brinkley's presentation (the fish biology part, not so much the set line and fish cleaning part :smile1:) because the nature of the fish and how we as anglers follow their lead determine our success.

·
Banned
5,095 Posts
Thanks John - I'm planning on asking if it's OK to tape my part of it. If so I'll post it to my website.

Jon - thanks - I didn't know reservations were required.

I need to get cracking on my presentation but a big part of mine will be a PowerPoint showing Google Earth views of typical kinds of spots I fish with notes and graphics showing boat and bait position, etc. Other slides will cover screen shots from the graph so folks can see the underwater part of what I look for in a spot.

I'll touch some on bait and gear as well but as most of you know it doesn't make a darn what bait or gear you're using if the fish aren't there to appreciate it. If you're in the wrong spot you might as well be throwing that $6 skipjack in your driveway on a Snoopy pole.

Guys that have fished with me or seen my posts on here know I don't fish for bites or numbers of fish but big fish. It makes for some loooooong boring nights but when it works it makes for some really interesting fishing.

I'm the first to admit I'm far from an expert but I spend a lot of time out there and I'll do my best to share the useful stuff I've learned.

I'm really looking forward to Phil Brinkley's presentation (the fish biology part, not so much the set line and fish cleaning part :smile1:) because the nature of the fish and how we as anglers follow their lead determine our success.
Man!!! I have to get my wisdom teeth out. This sucks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.