Catfishing Seasons: When do you start catfishing?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Nov 22, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish for channels during the winter, but the season usually kicks off for me in late March early april..For Flatheads it is late april early may..I find that May and June are prime for both species....Sorry folks, but I cant believe winter is almost here and I hate it, I am looking forward to spring. I wish I had Blue cats in my area.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Winter, what's that? In Texas, we never stop fishing. Oh, alright, if its 35 and raining I won't go.

3. slqfan

slqfan New Member

State:
    Stockdale, TX
    Im with you Gadzooks.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    When do I start catfishing, you ask? LOL I never stop, LMAO!!!

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    no blue cat, flathunter? ever considered moving!!!!!LOL i fish the red river in northwest louisiana. the channel cat out of our river are not fittin' to eat, but them little fiddler blues will melt in your mouth! i don't actually quit catfishing during the winter, i just get really bad side tracked by the fur trapping season. i do manage to go a time or two. come february, the little blues stack up and i don't miss out on it. don't start fishing for the big ones until early april. the op start turning on from mid to late april on the river. i'm in mexico workin' right now, but 2 days before i headed this way i spent an afternoon on the river. ended up with 42 blues in 6 hours. nothing over 5 pounds, but some good eating fish none the less. got a report yesterday from home and they are still biting good..........catch one for me.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes I for one have thought about moving, I'm not so sure about Flathunter , leaving the the wives & children @ home, selling everything I have, buying a pontoon boat, put a bed in it & live on the river for ever, doing nothing but catching Blues & Flats until we die! Oh yea.... no in laws how geat would that be! ;)

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I don't stop so I guess I don't start. I fish year-round, just not every single day because work gets in the way of that. I fish the least during the hottest parts of the summer, you can always put on more chothes when its cold but when you're naked thats it, still hot.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Here in Central California, we fish year round for cats. We sometimes get a frost, and a month of fog, but the cats are still bitting :)

9. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    you guys stop fishing why? No blues hey marylands not all that far away come on down and we can run the blues all winter long.

10. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I never stop fishing for them either, last friday night I was out there all night. Temp got down to 28 degrees, the anchor ropes were frozen solid. I still managed to catch a couple, one 15lbs and one 25.

11. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Now THAT is dedication. Personally, if it is cold enough to freeze the anchor ropes, I'm headin to the house. Or finding a nice, enclosed, heated dock to fish for crappie at

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I hate cold weather.I dont fish in the winter at all,another reason is i have heart problems and because of it my immune system isnt the best so i get sick easy.But i start fishing whenever theres a warm enough day,i like to start in march as long as its not butt freezing cold.

13. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    NEVER STOPI tough it out all season.For years I bass fish the circuits all season,now that catfish is my game of choice,I give it 100% just the same.JUST LOVE IT! :D

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Dont stop, just head farther south a few times this winter. Fishing is good in the winter for blues on the ohio.

15. Big Country01

Big Country01 New Member

State:
    brandon,florida
    ain't gotta stop, i'm in shorts on christmas day after opening pressents having a good time on the lake

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    SHORTS on CHRISTMAS? :crying: Now don't go rubbin it in!

17. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    upland bird season keeps my dance card full november through january. start fishing again as soon as the ice is off the lakes late febuary or early march.

18. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    One of my best days ever was last Feburary. Air temp was in the teens,water temp was in the mid thirtys. We were breaking ice about a half inch thick back in the oxbows to catch shad. My buddy and I took our limit of blue cats with nine over twenty pounds.

19. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    Coon season goes out here the 15th of February. Rabbit and squirrel seasons go out a month earlier. I plan on hitting some power plant hot water ditchs the next week after hunting season goes out. The cats don't start hitting on the lake I live on until mid-April.

20. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I'm from Fl and I never heard of such a thing as catfishing season until I started reading the post on the BOC. Catfishing season!LOL