Catfishing Saturday at the river

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by JAinSC, Oct 22, 2009.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I got out this past Saturday to the river. Those of you that know me know which river, but I swear that the pressure there lately has gone way up, with gobs of limblines and all, so I think I may keep the name more quiet. (I'll give you a hint: the name starts with ED and ends with O.)

The weather was not the greatest: cold and windy and overcast, but at least it didn't rain. Much.

I brought a bunch of mullet on ice, in case I couldn't get live sunfish, but I managed to get about 20 - most were bluegills, most were caught next to one dock that I have found seems to concentrate them when it cools down, and most were caught on worms.

I set up for flatheads just before sunset, and I got a few fish, but nothing spectacular. By about midnight I had caught 2 blues in the 8 pound range and 4 flatheads: 5, 10, 15 (like the size trend!) and 3 pounds (oh well). All the hits in the first couple of hours came on live sunfish and I had enough baits, so I switched all rods to sunfish and forgot about the cut mullet.

The night was chilly and breezy, with the north wind blowing against the flooding tide. I had to use 2 anchors pretty much every time I set up to stay more or less stationary. At least the clouds broke up and let the stars show through. Then it would close in again. Then it would clear again... Saw a handful of shooting stars during the breaks.

I was warm enough all bundled up and enjoying the night, so I was just hanging out, but eventually I decided I should think about heading in. Decided to head for the landing and maybe fish one more spot near there. The tide had turned to ebb (flowing with the wind, making life easier), so I set up at the head of a stretch of deeper water, in about 10 feet of water casting toward 20. I kicked back and watched the clouds open up again, saw another shooting star, listened to the barred owls call, and waited. A little after 2 AM one rad went down: another blue about 6 pounds. As I released that fish another rod bent over: another small blue. At least I'm getting some action! The first blue turned out to be hogtied in another line, so I had to bring that one in to untangle him and while I was working on that, a third rod bent double and line started to peel off the reel; definitely a better fish. This one turned out to be a 30 pound flathead, a very nice way to cap off the night.

I didn't take any pictures of the smaller fish, but did snap a few of the 30. I have my typical deer-in-the-headlights startled eyes. Must be something about taking photos with the self timer...

Water temp was 66 (on the ebb) to 68 degrees (on the flood tide).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Good night on the river bro! These high 40 low fifty water temps are making me want to move south! Congrats on the good fish!

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Good stuff, John.

You're lucky to live so south where the water is still warm.:cool2:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    NICE FISH BROTHA! my kids do not allow me to get out in the cooler weather fishing

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Way to go John. Very nice catch there indeed congrats.

6. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    that's a great flatty thanks for sharing the story

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good night of fishing man! Congrats!!!! rollo

8. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thanks sounds like the perfect night

9. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks for the story its not all about fishing or is it?:smile2:

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice fish.

11. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    good catches,hope i can do that good next time out.last few outings,nothing.

12. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    nice fish !!

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Another nice trip report John. That self-timer stuff is tricky, but it looks like you're better at it than I am! Nice Flathead man and sorry to hear about the increased pressure.

14. raysplay

raysplay New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Congrats on the nice fish from AR. I went out with A friend friday night (all nighter) here in AR. and cought a 21 pounder blue and a 9 pounder blue I think I had a good night :cool2::smile2::wink:
    Following sunday meet with another friend me and the wife and my wife puppypal cought her PB blue 10 pounder and a few eaters :smile2::wink:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009