Catfishing - Sardis Lake or TN River?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by oldwhiskers, Feb 2, 2006.

1. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Hello everyone! I joined the BOC recently and have browsed the forums pretty good, it is a great sight. This is my first real post for information.

I am torn between trying for catfish at Sardis Lake, MS or the TN river near I-40. From my house it is 1-1/2 hours to Sardis and 2 hours to the TN river. I have been away from fishing for quite a while and I am wanting to get back up to speed.

I confirmed with the MS wildlife people, a non-resident is not allowed to use a cast net for shad :crying: so that would probably leave me with using bream.

Which would be a better location to fish for catfish with a good chance of success?

2. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    When did they change and say a non resident couldn't catch shad with a cast net? I fished ms for many years and always used a net. Up to last year when I moved to Florida. I need to tell my son about this. He fishes the dams at Columbus and Aberdeen.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    John - I fished Sardis a lot last year - there's lotsa cats in there. Best places to look are at creek mouths where you can find drop-offs/a little structure. If you launch from the boat ramp at the west end of the dam, you don't have to drive too far to get to a few good spots. Right now, look in deeper water (30' - 40'), but as the water warms up starting going shallower. Sometimes, when drifting for cats, I would go thru schools of crappie, so I would rig up a rod with some crappie jigs at the same time. Check out the MS DNR fishing reports too, they're usually pretty accurate. Good luck.

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    John, welcome to our family. I use to fish the Tallahatchie River there off hwy #7, when I lived in Mississippi. The Tallahatchie empties into Sardis Lake and there is some mighty good fishing in the river. We always put in at Wyatt's Crossing and went up river. There are some good deep holes up that way but if they are holding the water back, be careful because there are many many stumps and standing dead trees just under the surface of the water. The Tennessee River at Pickwick is one super place to catch just about any kind of fish you want to catch. I like Pickwick as much as I do Nickajack Dam here in East Tennessee and I love Nickajack a lot.

5. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Sorry about the slow response, I had to drive a quick trip to PA, boy was that a long run.

I was reading the fishing regs and that's what I thought it said, so I posted a message on the MS Qildlife forum to get clarification on it.
    The forum moderator came back saying that I was reading it correctly.

Here is the link: http://www.mdwfp.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9350&SearchTerms=shad
    It is at the bottom of the thread.

6. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks Patmansc and fish.

That gives me a little info on Sardis, I have been out on Sardis just twice so far, but not for catfish yet. I will have to give that a try down towards the dam.

I have not been out on the TN river yet, but I have crossed over it many times. I stopped at a ramp and looked around some once this past summer. It just looks like a great place to fish, just hate the 2-hour drive.

7. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    John: just before I moved from Memphis I bought the West TN Fishing Map Guide, and it says that at the bridge were US 70 crosses the TN river some tackle-bustin' cats have been caught there. So even tho it's a 2-hour drive, I think it's worth a trip or 2 to check it out. :0a26:

8. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks, I googled for the map and found it. That sounds like would be a good choice to go and try it.

9. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    When you go, please let me know how you did! I really wanted to try that spot, but before I was able to we moved to Greenville. There's supposed to be some fish there that have broken some big fishin' tackle, so good luck.

10. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    When you go, please let me know how you did! I really wanted to try that spot, but before I was able to we moved to Greenville. There's supposed to be some fish there that have broken some big fishin' tackle, so good luck.

11. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Oh! I almost forgot! There's trophy fish right there in your own backyard - in the mighty Mississippi river! You can launch from the ramp aty Mud Island, and fish the area between the 2 bridges. There's a guide (Jim Patterson) that lives in Cordova or Bartlett that specializes in trips there (check his website), and I suggest you go with him one time to see how to fish there. There's plenty of fish between 30# - 70#, and this is a great time of the year to be after them.

12. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    Thanks, I have been out on the MS river once and I am a little leary of the current and the monster whirlpools that I have seen there. That info on the guide may be something that would show and teach me quite a lot.

I think I will try the TN river this summer, I have been looking around some at the cabins that are available in the area so I could make a weekend of it when I did try it.

How's Greenville? You are getting into my area now. I am from the NC area by Spartenburg and I lived in Charleston for 3 years. I did not fish a lot back then, but I did go after shrimp in Charelston, much better than store bought.

I did go night fishing once with an ex-brother-in-law (not at the time) and we cleaned up on some white bass suspended at a bridge in NC. Made for a nice fish fry.

13. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I like Greenville - especially as there are so many lakes around, with cats, crappie & stripers. I've never caught a striper, so I'm looking forward to learning how to fish for them. I feel like I'm in freshwater fishing paradise! I love to saltwater fish as well, as I grew up on SoCal, and ocean fished for years, so I'm also looking forward to getting out to the east coast of SC too! But for now, I trying to learn my way around Lake Hartwell here, which is proving to be quite a challenge. I've been there 3 times, and got skunked all 3 - not even a nibble, even tho I marked fish each time. Some, I think, were stripers, as well as some crappie & cats. I'm trying to get into some blues, but at this point would be happy with a carp

14. oldwhiskers

oldwhiskers New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I am just getting started again on fishing. The first time out on Sardis we caught some late summer crappie, but the last time out got skunked.

I am fixing up some jugs to put out while fishing with the rod. I have never jugged before but I would like that to get productive as well as rod fishing.