Catfishing Santee in December

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by taz1967, Nov 3, 2009.

1. taz1967

taz1967 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hiya Folks
    My Dad and I are thinking of camping at the Santee state park and doing some catfishing. Never fished there before. We are planning for the week between christmas and new years. Any suggestions, tips or pointers from yall?

Thanks
    Jim

2. NCSBI185

NCSBI185 Member

State:
    NC
    Santee lakes are big and can get pretty rough. I would suggest that since it's your first time adn trying to find a guide to take you out. It took several trips for us to start catching fish. The guides usually seem to do better especially if you havent' been there before.

3. SCcatfishing

SCcatfishing New Member

State:
    SC
    I got bit of advice get real warm clothes and something that doesn't allow air to pass threw.... I have been out there when it was 35 outside and no wind, like a light switch 20+ winds..... That will freeze ya to the bone.... :wink:

4. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hi Jim,
    Welcome to BOC. The December bite depends very much on the water temperture and if its cold enough to have the bait dieing, then you would want to fish deep. The other guy's are right, Santee lakes are known to be shallow, so a 20 MPH wind kicks up and the place gets nasty if this happens you don't want to be in a small boat in open water, therefore there right about using a guide the first trip and they will put ya'll on the fish, But hey to spend that week with my Dad given the chance, I'm doing it. GOOD LUCK!!!!

5. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 New Member

State:
    Central, SC
    I would suggest that you get a guide for your first trip down there. It can get really rough if there is a good storm. Captain Ron is the best guide on the Santee lakes. You can find him here on the BOC and he's better known as "Roundhill"......If there's fish to be caught then he knows where they are at.!!!!

6. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Santee I wouldn't go on 1st trip alone untill someone showed you around . That lake will get you in trouble in a good size boat . with weather and stumps untill you know where to run found out my 1st time out at night !!!:confused2:

7. gotta go

gotta go New Member

State:
    SC
    If you don't know the lake get a guide, fishing from the state park you better be careful. If i was fishn from that area in Dec., i would leave the landing, take a right, go under 95 bridge and follow the markers to the tree's (they will be on your left) then when i seen a bunch of boats in the tree's i would ease (real slow) out in the tree's and stump jump (tie to a tree, sit 10 min and move to another) drop some rods down and throw others out using cut shad. If its windy and you got a small boat, don't go out, if you don't have a gps or have common sense in direction, don't go out:big_smile:

Just hire a guide:wink:

On another note, you could just run out to hwy 601 and put in at Bates Landing and fish the river. Its pretty safe and the fish will be there. You might even see me

Last edited: Nov 6, 2009