Catfishing rod and reel

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by uapipefitter, Feb 17, 2007.

1. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    ya catt'n buddies,what type of rod and reel combos do you guys use. look'n to get into cat friendly equipment instead of using my bass'n stuff to fish for flatties or channels.thanks fella's

2. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas

3. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Trent,
    The answers will go on and on, depending on the size of fish that are available. Be prepared to catch the biggest thing in the water. I mostly fish for channels, but still like to be prepared for a nice flathead. I fish from the shore mostly, so I need more distance sometimes. When I do, I use a 12' medium heavy rod rated for 15-3-# line and 2-6 oz. of weight. I also like the Okuma Avenger combo I have. I haven't hooked any big ones, but I believe I can handle anything in the water with it. It's also a medium heavy rod with a spinning reel. I just bought a Berkley lighning rod which I am going to try out on channels this year. It's a little lighter than I am used to, but light gear can be a lot of fun sometimes.

4. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    Welcome Trent.

My preference is a medium heavy Berkley glo-stik. I have a 10' caster right now, but am going to get an 8' as well before spring. I have an Abu Garcia 6500C-3 catfish classic sitting on it loaded with 30# fireline. I also have a St. Croix Classic Cat 8" heavy action also with an identical abu garcia on it loaded with 50# catfish fusion. The guys here in MI that i have fished with like to make fun of my "blue lite special" but that is just envy cuz none of them have one. I only use those rods for night fishing for flatheads. I have two lighter rods I use for daytime fishing for cats. both of them are 7 1/2' medium power. one caster with an Abu 5600 C-4 spooled with 15# kevlar and one spinner with a Pfluger President spooled with 12# yo-zuri.

Count on getting alot of rod and reel advise from this site. I think the only wrong rod to use might be a fly rod, but i won't count that out either. Just cuz i never caught a cat on a fly doesn't mean it can't be done.

hope this helps.

5. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i use alot of casting reels mostly abu's and ugly stick catrods in the 7' range with 20 lb sufix line, and use okuhum reels with heavy action rod using 30-40 lb sufix line as well. other people here use diffrent rigs it is accouding to what you confort factor is and the conditions your fishing in, I do alot of fishing where so a current and river structure is not a issue. and welcome to the boc

6. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Welcome to the BOC Trent!

I have several Ugly Sticks, they have always worked well, but they are allergic to a car door closing on them:roll_eyes: . Last summer I bought 2 Eagle brand Cat Claw poles, M/H 8 footers. I love em so much, Im gettin a few more for my son and daughter. They got a good stiff backbone to them, and a long handle you can shove under your arm pit when hauling in those big ones.

Hope this helps!

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Trent Welcome to the BOC. If you are targeting channel cats you can use your bass equipment. Just up grade your line size and use your med/hvy-hvy rods.If you are going to be fishing for flatties or blues I would look at 7000c3 ABU. and an Ugly Stick Tiger Rod in a med/hvy. Use Berkley Big Game Line 30-50#. This should get you going. It looks like you have a good boat set up. Good Fishing and I hope this helps.:lol:

8. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks guys.kinda like the debate ford,chevy, or dodge.everyone has had good and bad experiences with them all.lol

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Trent,
    Just remember,
    1. The biggest flatheads live in the heaviest timber.
    2. Catfish are not the least bit line-shy.
    3. It takes a stout rig to cast with a 6 ounce bank sinker and an 8 ounce bluegill tied to the end of your line.
    4. There's no excuse for taking a walleye rod to a catfish fight.
    Good luck!
    Tony
    Ahhhh... spring is in the air.
    We hit 31 degrees today, and folks are talkin' fishing!

10. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    thanks tony,i'll keep the bass'n stuff out for channels and go get some artillary for the flats. come on spring can only clean my reels so many times..lol.

11. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    A dedicated flathead rig looks something like this (to me, at least):
    7-9' Med/Hvy to Hvy action casting rod, Abu Garcia 6500 or 7000, 30-50# mono or 60-80# braid, 8/0 circle hook, 6 oz bank sinker, 6" bluegill or bullhead.

Like I said, it's not so much that you need this much power to catch the fish, it's that you need this much power to handle the baits!
    Look forward to meeting you in May, if not sooner.

12. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Hey, Trent, talk about opening Pandora's box! What I really want to know is what is the ultimate white tail rifle. LOL I am reasonably new to this arena, so I can only tell you my experience. I have used a few baitcasters by pflueger, shakespere, and abu garcia. I strongly prefer the abu garcia ones. I own 2 of them and like them a lot. I also have an open face salt water reel with a bait clicker that I cut my teeth on. It does a very good job and has a separate clutch for the bait clicker which is nice. It still is not as nice as the abu garcias though. The only thing I know to tell you is decide whether or not you want a thumb bar or a push button. This is the only feature that is different between my two reels. I have 2 cabelas king kat rods. 1 Heavy action 7'6" and 1 MediumHeavy action 8'. I like them both very well and they are fairly priced.(especially when you get them on clearance in the winter):big_smile: The only rod I didn't care for was an ugly stick. The 2 I borrowed felt mushy. (Sorry ugly stick guys) I did have the luck to use a st.croix musky rod once and was very impressed. Not impressed enough to drop $175 on one, but, if I ever win the lotto...I have noticed that the more eyelets on the rod the better it seems to distribute the stress along the blank. Maybe that is a given. If you go fishing with BwanaTony you may as well take a broom stick with an ATV winch mounted on it. He is the only guy who takes his bait to the taxidermist if he doesn't catch anything on it. LOL I was able to use several combinations before I bought one so if you can borrow them here and there it might be worth a test drive before you cough up the dough for your own. Channels on bass gear is a riot anyway so don't think you gotta get a new rig tomorrow! Good luck, looking forward to meeting you in the spring

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    for pretty cheap you can go to walmart and get a catfish ugly stick(probley one of the best cat rods ever) and a tidewater 30lb, i use this set up and never have any problems with it. and i know its gonna be big enough to handle what ever fish i hook up to but is still light enough to make smaller fish fun. hope this helps you

14. uapipefitter

uapipefitter New Member

State:
    potterville,mi
    <P>thanks again fella's look'n at the abu's.seems like a really well built reel.look forward to meeting you guys in the spring. trent</P>
    <P>&nbsp;</P>