catfishing rigs at buggs island

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bearman3176, Apr 27, 2009.

1. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    Does anyone have any info on the type rigs used to catch blues at buggs island a buddy and i are plannin a trip down and are pretty much lost

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    try a carolina rig with live bait .welcome to the BOC someone that fishes that area will come along to give u better info ,thats the good thing about this site people helping people

3. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    For Blues at Buggs I use three different types of rigs. And are most pretty much simple.

1. Carolina rig, use this rig when anchored. I use 20lb main line with a 1-2ounce sinker, swivel and 25inchs of leaderline. 30-50lb leader and 6/0-8/0 gamkatusu circle octopus hooks. depending on the side of cutbait or live bait your going to use.

2. for drifting i use a Santee drift rig. It consist of a 3way swivel, the same leader as above, connected to one of the 3way swivel, connect the main line to another eye. and to the 3rd eye of the swivel connect a drift sinker, the drift sinkers i use on 1/2-1ounce on pencil weight slide into a short piece of surgical tubing and on the other end of the tubing is a barrel snap swivel with i connect to the 3rd eye of the 3way swivel. Althought there or many types of drift sinkers you can purchase.

3. is a float rig, basicaly the carolina rig under a large slip float. Set the stop knot on your main line at the depth you want the bait to be in. I use no more then a 1ounce egg sinker for this rig. Besides a slip float I use a Redi-rig float. and it acts much like a planer board. Set the float at the depth you want and when a fish hits it releases and slides up and down the line, freely much like a planer boad. You can google up Redi-rig floats to see were to purchase them.

4. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That is one outstanding post you made there, Travis!

I feel like I'm sitting right there in the Fishing 101 classroom. :cool2:

I'll add to your rep as soon as they let me.

5. screamnreels

screamnreels Member

State:
    Halifax county
    That about says it all.If there are other ways I surely don't know them, and I have fished the lake and it's tributarys for over 20 years.

6. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    I pretty much do the same as catsnstripers except I won't use anything lighter than 30lb mainline and when drifting i rig a carolina rig with a 3/4 ounce egg sinker and put a 2 1/2 inch cigar float about 3 inches above the hook. The big cats are hitting so make sure your rod is anchored down or have baitfeeder reels

7. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
    I forgot about the cigar float. Basically use just as he said said, a 2.5inch crappie float. Place it on the leader roughly halfway to 2/3 of the way toward the hook, depending on how heavy the bait it, this way is to make sure it floats off the bottom... Some people use partially inflatted balloons, but they dont stay put on the line, they'll slide up and a down the leader. Dont worry about colors, i use green or white. I dont think a catfish really cares about whats around when he heats. Just think of all the stuff around when he's routing around in a root wad or sunk tree.

8. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    i drift fish at kerr all the time normally with two down lines, two slip corks like already described, but another great way to catch blues is freelining while drifting just attach a swivel and a 2-3' 50lb leader with a hook and a big piece of live bait toss it out about thirty feet. now weight at all blues love it most days itll out fish slip corks i normally run six rods using two rods for each of these rigs lines rarely get tangled and fish seem to prefer different rigs on different days

9. rclark

rclark New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Travis can you post a good pic of the Santee drift rig?? Thanks

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I going to insert a shameless plug for one of the BOC's long-time sponsors, Wild Wolf Products: http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/.

Their KatBobber is definitely worth checking out, as it is the perfect solution to the balloon and other float fishing issues. Many of the top catfishermen of the BOC have used their products with great success.

11. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for all the knowledge, really helps a novice like me. Was just up last weekend fishing under the kerr dam. Do you guys have any advice for staying out of snags there. I figure between the rocks and the tons of line that must be on the bottom I lost almost 10 rigs. Thanks

12. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    if theres a way to avoid those hangups i dont know it i use braided line there and have pulled in 2 or 3 rigs in one cast there before. were the cats biting down there this time?

13. keepitsimple

keepitsimple New Member

State:
    virginia
    There is really no way to avoid getting hung up below the dam. There is probably enough broken lines there alone to circle the earth. I would recommend slip cork rigs close to the gates til it drifts out then recast back up to the gates. If they are generating the cats are close to the gates and if you can hit the back water swirls, the cork will stay put and tear up some blues. I know it's tough getting in the right spot with the shoulder to shoulder fishing there at times.

14. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    I have only been up there a few times, but it does get crowded up by the dam. I was going to fish a slip sinker but have no idea what the depth is there and where the fish suspend. I tried fishing about 1/2 way down the rock line, just threw out a slip bottom rig w/ a 1 -1/2 ounce sinker slipping threw a 50 lb leader w/ a 7/0 circle hook when the water was off. I got hung up a ton and switched to a slip bobber rig w/ about 2.5' of leader and avoided getting hung but my drift was a little too fast I think and I wasn't even getting hits. Fishing w/ cut minnow, chicken liver, crappie head and anything I could throw out there. Thanks again.

15. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    when the fish are biting in there cutbait is best i think i just havent had much luck there with live bait youll even catch stripers with cutbait under the cork

16. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    what depth do you set your slip rigs at if you don't mind me asking? also what cutbait is best, I am not even sure what is native to the river? just used cut-up menhaden and whatever live minnows they sold me at the bait store just up the road (north) from the dam. this week is busy for me, but may try to make it up next week...hopefully they will stick to the schedule for water release, last time they waited an extra 2.5 h before turning off the flow.

17. CatsNstripers

CatsNstripers New Member

State:
    Smith Mountain
  18. justadrifter

justadrifter New Member

State:
    nc
    i usually only fish about 3 or 4 foot deep down there

19. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    I HAVE BEEN DOWN TO BUGGS THREE TIMES NOW AND DONE VERY WELL ALL OF THEM USE N CUT SHAD AND BRIM ANCHOR FISHIN AT NITE AND DRIFTIN IN THE DAY FISHIN ABOUT SIX INCHES TO A FOOT OFF THE BOTTOM

20. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Went out last night to the kerr dam. Got there just as they were turnin off the water at 1 am. Got a 13, 10 and 5 lb blue within the first 1.5 hr and then things slowed down. Caught about 5 more eaters and a few dinks before they openned things up again at 6 am. Got a nice 8 lber as the current picked up. All blues on frozen cutbait. Used a sliprig w/ a 1 oz weight right up to the hook. Fished 5 hrs, only lost 1 rig.
    [​IMG]