Catfishing Rig revolution

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by capt theory, Apr 20, 2006.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    if anyone has the new catfish insider i would highly recommend checking out the european catfishing rigs article. the last rig is called a poly ball rig. for fishing the verdigris river by bank that is perfect. doesnt do any good to throw a three way rig to the bottom if the fish are suspended in a school of shad, and thats why i think its hard to fish deeper rivers when stuck on the bank. of course you can use a bobber but that requires alot of attention to fish that rig. now the poly ball rig will keep your bait in place just underneath the surface to about 4 or so feet deep. you can do longer but it becomes a chore. i did modify the rig a little bit by using a standard three way knot (double loop surgeon knot) inbetween the float and the swivel and added alittle weight to the float to keep it in front of the rig when casting. i tried it out at my local hole monday and it worked perfect. i got one good bite but i wasnt paying attention until i saw the rod come back up and the float reappear. also wasnt the right time of day to be out there. but i would definatly check that article out if your a bank fishermen. me personally, it revolutionized my approach to that river. im gonna call it the verdigris river rig since i modified it... or is that cheating..

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    No thats not cheating, thats new and improved. LOL Keep us posted on the results.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Can you give a little more detail of this rig. I googled it and can't find anything solid.

4. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    id scan it in for you but unfortunatly im at work and its at home. i wont be by a computer again until monday night. its in the new catfish insider under the european rigs article. if you can wait until monday night ill post it for you.

5. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey capt,

Don't forget to post what details you've got on this rig when you get back to your computer.

6. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    in an attempt to stay out of trouble i drew a diagram of the rig ive been using instead of scanning in from the magazine. keep in mind im no artist but you get the point. i used it sunday morning and banked a 28 pound blue with it. i missed about four really good bites but of course it had to be when i was tending to other rigs or bs'ing with the guys i was fishing with. one of them hit so hard that the float was leaving a wake as it tore through the water. i really wish i had that one. the point is i had pretty good success trying this rig out so id recommend it to the bankbound brothers. i used heavy duty materials to construct the rig because i need the rig to handle huge baits and huge fish but id recomend downsizing if your after eatin fish. pay attention to the leader lengths though because if you get to much line inbetween the swivel and the three way knot its gonna make it hard to cast. keep me posted if anyone tries this out.

Attached Files:

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Interesting rig. How deep have you fished this rig? I don't mean the length between the cork and the hook but the depth down to the weight.

Thanks for taking the time to diagram this rig. I'm going to try it in about 8 ft of water this afternoon if the weather breaks like it's supposed to.

Do you think there would be any drawback replacing the swivel with a 3-way swivel and tieing the hook leader onto it?

8. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I would agree with the three-way swivel that way you wouldn't have another weak point. I think I am going to try that with one of gene's catbobbers.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Now you've got me thinking (uh oh!)

I have meant for years to use more "off bottom" rigs, because we all know that cats do a lot of their feeding off bottom, but my rods are typically rigged with the standard "carolina" rig - slip sinker, swivel leader, hook...

I have been slow to use floats, mostly because the best float rigs seem to be complicated and I am too lazy to take the time to cut off my bottom rig and create a whole float rig and then maybe have to go back ...

Anyway, to get to the point (finally), why couldn't I put together a few set ups with a float attached to a couple of feet of line with a snap on the other end. Then, when I want to get a bait up in the water column, I could snap the float onto the swivel of my leader. Cast the whole thing out. The sinker goes to the bottom, I give slack to let the float pull the leader and bait up off the bottom - or all to the top. The length of line on the float (between the float and the snap) would control the depth of the bait (plus or minus leader length).

Biggest possible drawback I see is that the bait could swim around and tangle the leader around the float line. Fairly heavy stiff line on the float might help there. Float might also tend to lift the sinker off bottom, but I genearlly have at least one rod with a sinker slide (with a snap that allows quick change of the sinker), so I could upsize the sinker easily to compensate.

I fish flatheads in tidal rivers. I firmly believe that when the current is running strong, the fish are sticking to the bottom and feeding on the bottom. At slack tide (especially slack high tide), though, I suspect they are coming up off the bottom. This way I could move one or two baits up off the bottom for a little while without a lot of complex rerigging in the dark.

10. curtis

curtis New Member

State:
    california
    That sounds like a great technique! I would like to here more info on the rig. I'll have to go out and get that issue. Thanks for the knowledge.
    -Curtis from San Diego

11. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive been using it in about 20 feet of water. it wouldnt be bad to use a three way like that, i just wouldnt have the leader be more than 2 to 4 inches. that way it cant wrap around due to feisty baitfish. also im using this rig in slack water situations. i think that when good currents present the fish move to the bottom and around structures, when slack they start moving all about the water column. especially the blues. it should be real effective in 10 foot of water and easy to set the hook. also use circle hooks and when you know a fish is running with the bait, pick up the rod and start smoothly reeling in until you feel the weight of the fish and then slightly pull back.. hopefully itll work out for you. just let me know how it goes.

12. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    i think it would be hard to fish with it in the river because it wont take much current to push the float down near the bottom. a good way to fish sespended fish from shore is use a small out rigger. tie the out rigger to the bank. then use a clip that will unclip when a fish bites. you can suspend baits especialy live shad very well like this.ill draw up a diagram in a min

13. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    its not designed to fish in current at all. usually a three way works perfect in current because the fish are pushed to the bottom. i went home today and started messing with some swivel clips for easy modification when on the water especially at night. that wasnt a bad idea at all there JAinSC. i know i need all the help i can get at night..

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice rig, it look like it works.

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah - as I said, I stick to the bottom rigs when the water is moving. I'm fishing in a tidal freshwater section of a river, though, which means that the current slows down, stops for a bit, and then reverses direction 4 times every day (and the current on the late flood can be very light for a couple of hours sometimes). I have always suspected that at slack tides (when the current goes to nothing) the fish are probably coming up off the bottom to hunt. Even if they are staying on bottom, a sunfish suspended midwater out in the river is going to fight a lot and attract a lot of attention.

Personally, I have no use for brush clips. I know they will position a bait precisely, but I am not going to motor over to the bank and hook up a bait, then move back to an anchor position. Unless the bite is hot, I don't generally spend more than an hour at any given spot (often only 30 minutes), so that's just not worth the hassle. I don't sit in a spot all night waiting for fish to move through the neighborhood. If I'm not getting bit, I move on. Many many nights, the flatheads are feeding, but not moving much. I'm convinced that when I move to a new spot, the flatheads can pick up on the vibrations/smell/whatever of the baits and come from a short distance (maybe 30 foot radius?) and get it. After I get any fish within that radius (and maybe there aren't any) I have the choice of either moving on, or waiting for fish to move by from other areas.

Changes with the season and the time of night, too. The flatheads seem to be moving about much more dusk and dawn and spring and (maybe) fall. During the middle of the night in summer, if I want to keep catching fish, I have to go to them.

This sort of thing seems to have become widely accepted with channle cats (by way of Catfish Insider), but many people don't seem to have caught on that flatheads are the same way.

It's pleasant and relaxing to sit by a campfire on the bank all night, but that is deffinately NOT the best way to catch the most fish.

16. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I fish the mississippi with some real heavy current. I am always experminting and have tried my own inventions similar to this but no real improvement on just fishing from the bottom. The current where I fish is just too strong.

17. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    Hey Capt, Are you using a circle hook on it and what kind of bait are you using? Daryl

18. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yes sir its a circle hook. ive been using real big shad just hooked on whole. looks like its gonna be a while before i get to use this rig again because they let all the dams go loose after the heavy rain we had in oklahoma. went from nothing to everything in one day. just when i adapt to a pattern they go and change it on me. i guess thats the challenge of cattin huh?

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I too plan to try something a little different and that "off the bottom" fishing is something I want to do this year in some deeper water for suspended fish.

I have marked large echos on the depthfinder 5-10 feet off the bottom in 25-30 foot river channels. They may be cats, they may be bass or carp, but I would like to hook one and see what it is!!!!

20. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I tried my clip on float idea for a little bit this past Saturday night. I didn't get any hits, but the rig seemed to work well, even in light current. The float pulled up to the surface. I was rigged with a 3 oz pyramid sinker on a sinker slide and I used a large oval rattle float.

BTW - Wylie Cat - I don't fish Santee/Cooper Lakes much (prefer rivers/don't like crowds), but I have fished a slip float with the bait about 10 feet down with some success in Lake Marion.