Catfishing report james river 10-6th and 7th

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by mbandjb, Oct 8, 2007.

1. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Put in at Deep bottom on Sat.Used my gill net for the frist time.1St 2 sets were a flop then we got the hang of it,got our bait and fish the main channel from 295 bridge,no luck,then went up to the barge pit and landed a 20#.Went back down to Deep bottom area,no luck..
    Put in at Jordan Point on Sunday,got bait,then down to the power lines,bunch of small fish 5# to 10#.
    Go again in 2 weeks,Hope bigger fish...:big_smile:

Talked to JwFIsh from Ohio,he was still fishing when we had to live on Sunday.

my report,,,mikeb

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Put in at Deep Bottom Sat at 10:30 AM after an unsuccessful Bow Hunt for deer. Caught ten nice shad in the gill net quickly. Across from the ramp and downstream about 100 yards straight across from where the creek comes in below the little brick house. Shad were surfacing all over.. Tide was coming in. I fished all over from the ramp down to presquille. Never landed a fish. I fished until 4:30 PM and outgoing tide. Not serious hits. Only a few nibbles. My excuse. Five kazillion boaters out and man was it ever a beautiful fall day. On the plus side. The jumping presquille sturgeon that the was in The Richmond Times Dispatch that the state netted. Well that big prehistoric whopper at least six feet long jumped not 30 feet behind my boat. Cleared the water at least by four feet. My little crapper Jon Boat would have capsized had it landed in it. What a fish. Hope to see it on the end of my line one day. Water temp was 78 degrees. I am going again next Sunday.

3. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Thanks for the report guys. I was out Friday night. Had trouble for the first time getting shad...had to set my gillnet about twice as long as normal, but I was in business after a while. Fished Presquille with no takers. Saw the aforementioned monster fish jumping all around me. These were around 4ft long...possibly stripers? Moved down to the Powerlines in cooler water ~73-74. Caught a 10 and 15 in short order and some smaller fish. Wonderful night to be on the water, smooth, temps perfect, just really dark due to no moonlight.

Thanks for the tips Mike. Powerlines produced and I scouted out the other areas and will give them a go this weekend.

Ken - I feel you on those yahoos. Won't be too long before it's too cold for them and we fisherman can finally enjoy some daytime fishing.

4. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Put in at Dutch Gap Friday around 3pm and played around in the flat area past 295 about 200 yards to the right. Saw a lot of bait fish and practiced with my new 5 ft cast net. Getting better but need more practice. Got around 7 or 8 good ones. Fished at the green marker buoy past Jones Neck. Didn't get anything on caught bait but got 2 3#'s and 3 5#'s on shrimp. On another note "Jpritch" I can't send you a PM until I send 10 threads. This is #5. I'm trying to learn the names of these places ya'll talk about. :eek:oooh:
    Any suggestions on a good map? Actually everyone is giving a pretty good description of certain locations so I am following most of them. Where are the wrecks?

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Jollymon likes this.
  6. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    This is outstanding information, Joshua. I would rep you some more if they would let me! :wink:

7. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Joshua could not get adobe to show maps. Locked explorer up each time I tried.:angry:

8. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Anyone have a good time to fish. I know night time is better but what about the day. Any suggestions? And where?

9. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    I'm going to keep going until I get 10 posts Here's 8.
    Are shad and shiners the same thing?

10. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Number 9
    Do you cut the shad or use them whole?

11. Targa 175

Targa 175 New Member

State:
    Richmond,Virginia
    Number 10 "WHEW"
    If you cut the shad how big are the pieces and if you use them whole how big should they be?

12. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  13. kampfire

kampfire New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I need 10 posts too. I want to fish around the Ben Harrison Bridge. INcoming tide or outgoing tide best??

Where to start?

Mitchell in VA