Catfishing reels

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Apr 12, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    alright i only have 2 cat poles for real catfishing(both spincast). what are some good, affordable baitcast rods and reels. and is 25 lb test heavy enought to pull in a nice falthead? thanks for the info!

Ryan

2. fisherman94580

fisherman94580 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    25 lb. test should handle any cat your gonna hook up with.

3. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Don't know i mainly use spinning reels but i think those penn's are good baitcasters for their money

4. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    I use an Ambassadeur 6000 (49.95) on a UglyStik Catfish 7' rod (29.95) with 25 lb line. Got everything from Walmart. They have an Ambassadeur 5000 that will work and is cheaper, but the 6000 holds more line and has a baitclicker.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Basically, any Penn or Abu reel will handle most flatheads. I kinda quirked my eyes up on the word "PULL" as at times 80 lb test line is not enough to PULL in the fish. You have to learn to play them with your rod and drag... give line and regain line. If you learn to do that, you can step down in your line strength (if your so inclined), and put a few extra yards of line on a reel that will help you more than that extra 5 pounds of breaking strength.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I fish mainly for channels so for me 15# line is suitable. When I do head to the river to try for some big flatties I change to 50# braided line. Never compromise when there is a possibilty you will need stronger line to "pull" in the fish. As far as rods/reels go, I have come to trust my Okuma Avenger spinning combo. The rod is a m/h with enough backbone to get the job done and still has excellent casting. The reel is large enough to hold 150 yrds of mono line which means even more braided line. It also has the baitfeeder system which I love about it. Works the same way as a baitclicker on a casting reel.

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I would remend a Abu 6500, or 6000. I use 20 lb test line for all my cat needs.

8. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I only use Shimano baitcasters.I`ve had trouble with all the others.the weight and what kind of line to use usually depends on where you are fishing...If your fishing in snag-heaven area,you better have some braided and heavy lb test lines.You`re going to have to drag them flatties out of the snags before you get hung up.Your conventional mono may or may not hold up.The questions is...are you willing to take that risk?I prefer braided Muskie lines in the 50-60lb area.As they say..."Never bring a knife to a gunfight".

9. Desrthorn

Desrthorn New Member

State:
    Arizona
    The Penn 209 reels are basic levelwind reels that are tough enough to tackle anything in fresh water for under 50 bucks. Also, you cant go wrong with the ABU 6000 or 7000 reels. Any medium heavy or heavy fiberglass rod in 7 to 8 foot length should work, just depends on how heavy a rod you need and how far you need to cast. I have an ugly stick Tiger Rod (7feet) and a couple of Cabelas King Cat rods (8feet)that all work fine for the flatheads.

10. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Ryan;
    I would think that you will do O.K. with the 25# line. If nothing else, it's a good start until you figure out your "style" and all. If it does not work out for you remember that you can always change the poundage, brand, type, ect. :smile2:
    Hoping this helps you out.
    Fraternally,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ryan I could suggest several good rigs and they may or may not be what you need. Do you have a catfishing buddy that you can go with and try out some of his equipment? Also you could go to a sporting goods store and look and hold different styles. Buy what you want not what I want you to buy.

12. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    abu garcias and ugly sticks you will not be disapointed

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I have one bait caster,two of the zebco cat reels and a few spinning reels I use.Check out www.catfishconnection.com. They have some good ones !:big_smile:

14. chimp

chimp New Member

State:
    iowa
    I use an abu garcia 6500 reel with a 7' medium heavy rod. I would not use anything less than 30lb line if you are fishiing around cover. There is nothing I hate more than geting a big one on and having him break me off. It is better to rig heavy and be safe than have a fish of a life time on an lose it.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Look I'm gonna tell you what works for me. Yes there are other brands of reels and rods out there, I don't have the money to try em all so here is my take on what I know.
    I use ABU Garcia 7000 big game reels, cast like a dream (wet), have solid drags, can stand up to tons of abuse(rain,sand,cold,heat,muck.....) Only need cleaning twice a year if you fish over 75 days. They can handel the 85lb power pro I spool them with. They can also handel 15 or 20lb mono if you want to go for channels. Very versitile reels.
    As for rods you may need to find someone else. I use E-cat #fours which aren't produced any more. But I have held Ugly Stik tiger rods that I deem compareable and lower priced. Which is a plus, I plan on buying two for myself soon. Moyer BOSS rods are a good rod for heavy channel and medium flathead duty. By meduim I mean 50lbs and under. I'm not knocking the rod but I think there are better rods to handel a flathead over 50 pounds. I know nothing about PENN's or Okumas, they may be great. But I can't mess with 10 yrs of excellence. ABU

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i have many different setups but my favorites are abu garcia reels 6000, 6500, 7000, and 10000 models. if i had to chose just one i would go with the 7000 model it seems to be well balanced on most cat rods and is easy to handle. the castibility is great. i use st.croixs 6-8 ft. rods. med /hev action. there are alot of other great rods out there to have including catmax's , e-cats, big cat rods, and even some bass pro rods are great. just get what feels good to you and go from there.:cool2:

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Good point about 'pulling'. Only certain situations will absolutely require that you get into an absolute toe-to-toe pull with a big cat. One is fishing in a location where if the cat can make a 5'-10' run, it's got you wrapped up on some structure; the other is when you're bank fishing in swift water so that you can't chase the cat. I've seen big Penn 309 reels loaded with 50# mono get spooled in that situation.