Catfishing reels and rods

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishing is fun, Aug 3, 2006.

1. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i use a large spinning reel when catfishing, but alot of people say i should step up to a bait caster what is the best type of reel in u guys opinions, also what lenth of rod and what action MH H or XH, thanks for the help

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use both spinning and casting reels for catfish and like both of them. If your doing well with your spinning and like it stay with those. If your just wanting a bait casting reel to try out I would say the 6000 Abu are a Penn 209 on a ugly stick 7 foot MH would be a good rig that won't cost you a ton of money.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    What ever works for you...I have a spincast on a 7ft rod and a baitcast on a 8.5ft downrigger rod.They both work the same except i can cast the spincast farther than the baitcast.

4. ronnycl

ronnycl Member

State:
    NW/MS
    I like the abu 6500c with a heavy action rod.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Something in the 6500 Abu Size and a Medium Heavy rod made for catfishing or big fish. I prefer between 7 and 8 feet in length.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My inlaws several years ago lived in California and were really into Saltwater fishing. They are no longer in the best of health and so my husband and I have access to their fishing equip.There fore we both have saltwater poles with saltwater spinning reels spooled with braid. I personally don't care for baitcasters because I want to fish not take care of backlatches.Now if I had a boat and was setting on top of a good hole and I could just let the line down so to speak they would be ok,but I have to say,my personal favorite is the open faced spinning and I really like listening to it when it's being messed with.I'll set there and go come on come on take it before my next birthday please so their lots of fun.But whatever the individual likes and is comfortable with is what person needs.Just my two cents worth.Good Luck God Bless---pk:big_smile:

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If I were you I would try and borrow a baitcaster set up. Maybe you can get some instructions before investing any money.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Both work well. I use both and have no preference for either. The baitcaster is more of problem in learning to cast and, even after six months with the baitcaster, I still get some pretty bad backlashes, though none I can't get undone. For my 2 cents, if you are comfortable with what you have and it handles the fish you are catching, unless you really want to give baitcasters a chance, stay with the spinning rig. That said, I've come to love my Abu 5600 and my D5600, but I think its all those gears and the way they are built, not their fish catching ability.

9. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    No spincast lovers here?

10. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    i use my little brothers zebco 404 with medium heavy rod and its great, but i still like spinning because of the higher line compasity and because of the better gear ratios, but still i learned to fish on a spincast there great

11. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    nothing wrong with either, i have both and like both.

12. biggen0_8

biggen0_8 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Back when I was drag racing we always said "run what you brung". Whatever you like and enjoy and have confidence in, is the thing to use. Fishing is about enjoyment, if you have equipment you can't enjoy, you'll probably give up fishing. I use baitcasters, but it took me a while to learn. While I was learning I used spincasters and spinning reels. I gave up learning to use baitcasters a couple of times, but finally got the hang and now I love them.

13. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    There's no set in stone rules on what to use at all... heck i use Ultra light alot of the time, for no other reason then its fun and makes a 1 lb fish feel like its atleast 5-10... thats a spinning.... For pitching live bait ( i free line it alot of the time) i love spinning rods and reels but baitcasters work well too... I just feel its gentler on the bait to go with a spinning esp if i'm making longer casts...For Tourny's i use baitcasters, not because they preform better, but because they can hold a little bit stronger line... Once you learn to use a baitcaster its less likely you'll get backlashes... still will sometimes but you may just like them better... There's a bit less line twist on them so your less likely to foul things up too ...

14. gberan

gberan New Member

State:
    Deville louisiana
    It is not necessarily the equipment but how you are tuned to the equipment that you use. If you like the open face then the is best for you. Learn all you can about it, ie how to spool the line so that it is not twisted. use good swivels in current so that it won't twist. Learn how to properly set the drag for the size fish you are catching, but most of all practice practice practice, that is the fun of it. You have to go fishing a lot to get all that practice and that is what it is about.

15. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here ya go Kid,If that rod & reel fills good to you and you like to fish with it then That's the one for you..................

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Its doesn't hurt to try something new. I am pretty much a die hard spinning reel guy but I do have a baitcasting set up I'll bring out on occasion. I have yet to have a problem bringing a large flat to shore with a spinning reel. What ever you choose to fish with buy a quality reel!

17. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I like baitcasters. That's just my personal choice, and has been for many years. You will have to make this decision for yourself through trial, and error. What one person likes, another won't have. That's why there is a variety available to us, different strokes for different folks.

18. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I use both, and like both. If like one spinnin reels better then use em. They both work fine.

19. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Use what you unjoy useing fishing is about enjoymet and relaxment i experment then use the one you like best:big_smile:

20. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Use what you are comfortable with .
    Brian