Catfishing Reel ( Rhino 733 )

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gamebred704, Feb 5, 2006.

1. gamebred704

gamebred704 New Member

im taking my younger brother out to play around with the cats this week.. so im looking to buy him something low in cost but can handle a good size cat with no problem is the rhino 733 a good choice??

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    gamebred704

It depends on what you mean by good size catfish ?? there is alot of good bait casters that you can buy for $30.00 to $40.00 that will do all your needs, now the rhino 733 is most likely a good reel but I would not think its a reel for trying to catch 20 to 50 pound fish with. But its up to the person what they want too use. Right now I use Penn and Abu bait casters. But I have also had my gears ripped out of other reels I had while catfishing.

3. gamebred704

gamebred704 New Member

were going to a lake and gonna be using livers so no monstors are expected nothin over 10lbs im sure

4. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I was out fishing for carp and goldeye for bait with my 733 last spring, and blundered into a 42" flathead, my personal best. I got him in eventually, with some luck, but it wouldn't have been my first choice of equipment.. For fish up to maybe 15lbs they are fine, they are cheap and cast great.

5. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    Isn't that a direct drive reel? What I mean is that is doesn't have a drag. Not good in my opinion. If you have to have a bait spinner my choice would be the zeboc 888.

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i bought one of those a couple weeks ago and just got to use it yesterday.that is the worst reel i have ever bought.it would barly reel in a 2 pound channal cat. i dont know if i just got ahold of a bad one or what.
    well any way hope this helps

7. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    oh yea and they do have a drag system

8. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    I do know that there a step up in size and ..toughness from the 33 that zebco has built alot of there rep on ...The 733 has a Good drag and will cast a mile or so and I have personally caught fish over 20 lbs time and time again with no problem..I say buy it and use it for everything he wants to fish with

9. nhra22

nhra22 New Member

They can be OK reels but I think there is a quality control issue at the factory, because I know many people that have bought them, and had to return them for a working reel, but once that was done they usually worked ok.. like those CHEAP Shakespeare's that look like Ambassadeurs... a lot of them got returned... but a few people actually fish with them still.. I guess they got lucky..

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    i bougt a zebco/rhino 733 a year or two ago and i didnt care for it much
    i would rather use a old 33 and feel as confident.
    however look at these for a better choice in rhino

these are far better than the 733 833 or whatever those are at walmart
    that are black plastic

these are machine aluminum dual ceramic pickup and have a pretty decent drag and aint much more than a plastic rhino

type in rhino reels and then look for rbc or rsc rhino baitcast rhino spincast

11. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I think the old 33's, or 404's are a good choice. My Girlfriend's Rhino is junk.

Ray

12. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Has anyone ever used the Zebco 733 Platinum model? I just ordered two of them for my brother & sisterinlaw as gifts. Neither one is really into fishing that much and I hope to get them hooked fishing for cats with me. I have plenty of baitcasters but wanted something for beginners that would be easy to use. Figured the better grade 733 would be a good choice for beginners. Hope they work out ok.

13. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    Hey them Zebco733s is real good castin reels. I got one for Christmas and I love it. I even been out and tested the castin and the drag,smooth as silk both ways. I wanted a Zebco 808 , a 888 and a RHINO rsc5 but Gandermountain was out of them all. All they had was the synergy20. I have not yet used these or been out to test casting and drag abilities on the 2 I got. They look to be built as well as the other reels I have. I believe with good care and proper use of the drag they will all work.

14. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I buy them for my wife who can't use baitcasters or spinning reels and in the last 2 years she has had no problems to this point and they cast very well. Hope this helps you

15. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    The kids have the 733 hog they work very well for the price.

16. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One thing I like about the 733 vs the 808 and 888's is that it doesn't fall apart when you unscrew the cover. On an 888, if you arent paying attention, you may end up with the innerds lying on the ground. Just seems like the 733 has a better design.

17. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Garyf, that was the reason I went with the 733 Platinum models. Don't care for the 202/404/808's just for that reason. The Platinum models are also ball bearing drive & better design.

Frank