Catfishing reel ? reel lefty or righty?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by LadyValea1, Jul 7, 2007.

1. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Ok this is kinda a dorky question... I write with my right hand..
    and I use a baitcaster to catch cats..the handle in on the right side of the reel and it feels good to reel in with my right hand..
    But I have a spincast cat pole and the handle is on the left side and that feels right too...
    So what are the rules on the handle part of the reel?

I figured bass fishing if your a righty your handle should be on the left for constance casting and reeling in..

But still fishing..do I want my dominate hand to handle the reeling?
    I'm a bit confused...

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i grew up throwin a spinnin reel. right hand cast left to reel. i wanted the pole in my stronger arm to fight the fish. after a few shoulder surgeries, right arm wasn't good for fightin, tried the spin reelin right handed and it just didn't feel right. i switched over to a baitcaster and it seems to be working out fine (other than the occasional birdnest...lol) so basicly what ever works for you is the right way to do it.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most people who use a bait caster to fish with, cast with there right hand then switch the rod to there left hand to retrieve. To me that is wasted motion, so why not cast with the right hand and retrieve with the left. If you are comfortable retrieving with your left hand then use a left hand retrieve reel. The fish won't know the difference.

4. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    just buy the lefty. sometimes convention is messed up.

5. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    With most spincasters you can change to right or left hand retrieve by moving the handle. I tried a right hand retrieve spincater but it just did'nt feel right.

6. hopnbrly

hopnbrly New Member

State:
    California
    I own both left and right handed Abu Garcias personally I prefer the right handed model(Im right handed)The left handed model also works for me just fine.My fishing buddy who is also right handed fishes exclusively with a left handed bait caster.I have seen it to be a common practice with bait casters to do it opposite from standard thought.Bottom line is do whatever feels right for YOU.

7. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I have always looked at it from this prosective. I am a righty and all my reel handles are on the left, I want my strong arm putting pressure on the fish thru the rod and reel with my left.
    I guess it is just a matter of what you think is right. Hope this helps

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    My baitcasters are right hand spinning reels are left hand.

9. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Doesn't Sound Dorky to me. :eek:oooh: I am also right handed,but I only fish with left handed reels.For years it has always been that way for me.

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Yup thats me to!:wink:

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    What BAM said!!!!!!! ! !!!!!!

IF I were to buy a new Casting Reel ........ IT Would be a lefty for me.

OPINION

:wink:

12. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Same here its kinda weird but thats how I do it. Like the others said what ever feels good to you do that. Who cares what the norm is.:eek:oooh:

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My spin casters are set up for left hand retrieve. I couldn't immagine trying to cast left handed. I only have one closed face reel, and pretty much hate it, but it's right hand retrieve. I think if I had a bait caster, it would have to be a lefty too.

14. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am left handed. Cast right handed. Reel left handed. Unless I'm drinking a beer.

15. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    This is a great question that has been asked to me by other anglers. I am right handed, but I prefer a left handed reel, so I can tuck the "butt" of the reel under my stronger arm (right arm), and reel with my left. I have and currently own right handed gear, and I use it just as often as my left-handed gear. But I know if-and-when (thats a big question:smile2:) I do hook into a big fish, I know I want the left hand winding it in while the right arm is pulling on my personal best.:wink:

16. boozer

boozer New Member

State:
    kansas
    mine are the same way just feels right to me

17. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My spining reels are left and all my bait casters are right. Thats just the way I have always done it but I don't which is right.

18. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    All my gear is left handed retrieval spinners, but I guess if I made the switch to baitcast (which I intend on doing), it would have to be the same setup. It just wouldn't feel right to me I guess.

19. grillking

grillking New Member

State:
    omaha, nebraska
    I believe your stronger arm should hold the rod. But you should do whwtever feels best. GOOD LUCK:big_smile:

20. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    :006:I agree with Phillycatcatcher4,a left handed baitcaster is perfect for rite handed folks. With a left handed reel you cast and just reach up with your left hand take hold of the handle and put the reel in gear.