Catfishing questions - New here?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JOHN12, Nov 29, 2007.

1. JOHN12

JOHN12 New Member

State:
    LA
    I am trying to get the "catfishing" down for me and my son. Never caught one before.

1: Is it "safe" to eat any type of catfish, saw on a site "only" eat "yellow" catfish (????)
    Fishing tomorrow Lake Bisteneau, Louisiana, don't know the type there.
    I would like to try "jugging"

Also, if I have live shad, won't they die soon after hooking, would not 'Gutted" or cut bait be better?

Any help Appreciated.

Thanks
    John

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC John...

All catfish are very good eating. The only reason they wouldnt be is if caught from a lake or river with contaminates.
    I would try both live and cut bait. Let the fish decide which ones they prefer and go with that one.
    Good luck out there. Hope to see some pics. back with your first fish on!!!!

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Welcome---that's right they are all sweet meat. You'll love jugging, but just becareful how many you use, you can really get over whelmed very quickly.. Good luck

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC!.... Live or cut works well, have caught with both. I have noticed that larger shad stay alive pretty long on the hook, it all depends on how you treat the bait beofre hand...ie: Having a good tank to keep them healthy and lively with produce better bait, atleast it has for me.

5. JOHN12

JOHN12 New Member

State:
    LA
    Are "circle hooks' worth the $.

John

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC, John.

7. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Welcome to the BOC John. I started using circle hooks and I like them but they only seem to work right for me in current. Perhaps it is because I still like having to set the hook in calm water. Give them a try, you might like them but remember not to set the hook, let the rod load up then reel in the fish.

8. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    John
    I to0 would like to welcome you to the BOC, and hope you enjoy the site as much as I do. I suggest you just go catfishing, you will catch on very quick especially if you visit with those other catfisherpersons. They all are friendly and like most especially to give advise. Just don't move in on them Luck

9. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Welcome to the BOC John. All catfish are great to eat, but some states have restrictions on how much or how often to eat catfish from specific bodies of water because of contaminants. Check your state DNR or similar agency to see if there is an advisory on eating catfish from the lake you will be fishing (you sould be able to do this online). I use circle hooks exclusively, but I'm fishing a river and releasing the fish. If you're fishing a lake and keeping the fish, then most any style hook will do. Just don't jerk to set the hook if you use circles or you'll probably miss the fish. As for bait, my vote goes to fresh cutbait(shad is great) for most catfish, but flatheads like live bait also. It just depends on what kinds of catfish are in the lake. Let us know how you do and good luck fishin'.

10. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Welcome to the BOC jon. This is definetly a great site to learn about catfishing and fishing tips, etc. I have quite a few things on this site even though i don't thank everyone I am sure they all know the whole BOC is appreciated in many more ways than you can imagine. Stick around and good luck.

11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Welcome to th B.O.C. John. you'll love this site, it is full of info and ppl willing to share what they know. I will share a tip or 2. One thing Ilike to do is "chum". Works great for bringin in th kitties. My chum of choise is a home made chum, consisting of maise (sp), corn, crushed frosted flakes, beer, 5 gal bucket, an enough water to caver all ingredients, cover an wait a month or more. pour out gently or just punch holes an drop over side of boat.come back for th next few weeks an be prepared to haul in fish after fish.

Have fun

12. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Glad to have you part of the family. You and your boy will get hooked of them old whisker fish.

13. JOHN12

JOHN12 New Member

State:
    LA
    Thanks to all

TXTHUMPER what is "maise">

Thanks
    John

14. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC, alot of wonderful people here. Good luck on catfishing and keep those lines tight!

15. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

16. Angelkitty

Angelkitty New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    Welcome to the BOC from Arkansas.

17. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome aboard John from Minnesota. You better watch out, once you start catching a few cats, you're gonna be hooked on it.

18. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    My fishing partner swears by shad gizzard. He'll catch some big ones in the cast net, cut em open and stick his finger in their belly and pull out the gizzard and all the acompanying pieces and parts. The gizzard is a dime size ball that is very hard. He sticks the point of the hook through the gizzard and then threads on the rest of the mess as best he can and throws it out. That is usually the first bait to get a hit. Its not always a big one, but it makes things interesting. We use a lot of cut shad too. They don't seem to get hit as fast as gizzards, but the fish are usually decent sized. Try it all, no telling what works best in your area. I don't use the tails for bait, just the portion that has entrails. If the shad are small, I cut the tail off of them and use the whole body.
    Not to speak for anonther Brother, but maise is a grain that is grown in the Great Plains and is very popular in the making of chum. Something about the way it sours and ferments. Catfish will eat it until they look like they are going to pop. Check your local laws about chumming.
    Welcome aboard and keep on fishing! Don't hesitate to ask your questions, these folks have a wealth of knowledge and experience. Post some pictures if you get a chance. We all like to share your experience. Doug

19. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Welcome to the HOOD!:smile2: Hook that bait on there and get after it...alive, dead or a "little" cured out:eek:oooh: Good luck and let us know how it went.

20. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    John,
    Welcome to the BOC. There is no better place on the WWW to get great information on catfishing.
    If you are looking to keep some eater size fish I would use regular J style hooks. I use Eagle Claw bait holder hooks and I have great luck using fresh shrimp for eater size channel cats. Cut shad is always a favorite choice but not always an option this time of year. Shad can get hard to find, at least in my area. As mentioned before, try several types of bait and let the fish tell you what they are wanting. I sometimes start with three or four types of bait and then go to the one or two that the fish are eating.:big_smile:

Talk to the locals about what they are using and get all the info they will share.

I hope this helps,
    David