Catfishing Question - One hole or move around

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by foreverflathead, Jun 27, 2006.

1. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I fish for flathead catfish and am not having very good luck. My question is do most of you stick to one spot or move after an hour or two if you arent having alot of luck. I just dont know whether to stick it out or find a new place to fish.

2. mdudes17

mdudes17 New Member

State:
    Chicago, Illinois
    i definately move after an hour or so when i'm fishing for channels. when i'm fishing for flatheads and i'm fishing from the bank, i stay in one spot for most of the night. if i'm on a boat i move about every hour and a half.

3. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish mainly for blues and from a boat but always try to move quite a bit. If I go 30-40 min without a fish or many bites Ill move to another spot to try and find more active fish.

4. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    I move around about every 15 min in the river I fish I have better luck moving and catching the active fish.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I am bank fishing I stay put, good or bad.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If your in a boat, I guess you should move to where you think they may be. If your banking it, your sort of stuck I guess.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

it depends on the time of day are night and amount of time I have to fish and if I am fishing for eaters or looking for a monster fish. eaters I have a never fail me hole and monsters still looking for that hole here in NC but we have done well enough to catch a couple of 30 plus lbers out of jordan.

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Move about every 20 - 30 min. if your not catching fish.

9. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I move a lot. I'll give a spot 30 minutes or so and I'm gone. I don't always catch what I want to, but I don't want to think back and say "man I should have tried that other spot". But that's just my 2 cents.

10. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I stay put 99% of the time. Every now and then I will get a wild hair and move around, but not that often. Good luck on the water brother.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I fish from a boat, and ill move after 30 or 40 minutes if im not getting bite...My philosophy is you got to go find the active fish, you cant wait for them to find you

12. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    when catfishing out of a boat i prefer to drift fish. now if i know a good flattie hole i will anchor down stay put a bit. now when bank fishing every 35 mi or so ill move one rod and cast in a different spot. or even sometimes move after a hour or so. when cat fishing you have to cover your ground kinda like rabbit hunting. when its hot you have to give them flatheads the bait.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I mainly bank fish,so when I get set up I pretty much stay there the whole time.Too much stuff to have to move.

14. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I'm with flathunter, set up on the bank and take whatever comes.

15. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    i never move just becouse i have a nice camp site set up and i chum up the hole not more than 5 foot from it just my opion but bring them to you dont go all over to find one or two just fish the lazy way:big_smile:

16. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    me and my buddy have recently started fishin out of boats we find moving ever hour works best u never know if u just set 10-30 mins maby a min more and o bigin might hit so i think an hour on each blowdown we find out shallow flats hope this helps

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sometimes, I try other spots. But most of the time I just stick to one place.

18. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish from a boat and if I don't have action in 30 min., I'm outa there!

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I move every 30-45 minutes if there is not a bite when anchored. It has proved to be affective. Early on I gutted it out for a couple of hours in one spot and the lack of fish proved it was not an effective strategy.

Some days, for whatever reasons, certain places are better than others. Moving around helps to find them. Whatever combination you are using will work in some places better than others.

20. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would definately wait longer for flatheads than for channels or blues. I always tend to try and wait it out. More out of laziness than experience though...lol