catfishing poles

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by pup, Mar 3, 2009.

1. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    what is the best catfishing pole for boat fishing at a good price i have a lot of poles but they are for bank fishing and use them for casting a great distance looking at some catmax poles any help would be helpful :confused2::confused2: thanks

2. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Troy,
    I have a Team Catfish 3/4 ton bait caster rod that I bought , I like it a lot. There are some good rod builders in Ok. Team Catfish is a sponcer of the BOC check out Jeffs web. site. Lots of good rods out there. you need to decide what length, line weight, lure weight, e-glass or other type, and a price range. I think to get something good you should be thinking about something around $ 65- $ 75 . I like 7 1/2 - 8ft. Med. Hev. Good Luck

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Unless your bank poles are just too long to be easily used in a boat, there's no reason you can't use your poles for both bank and boat fishing. I've got several 7' - 8' rods that I use for both. Now, my 14' river rod, I don't use in the boat unless I know I'm going to need to cast a great distance.

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I myself like the 7' and 8' rods. What I would do is buy the lengths that will fit your where your rod holder are located and the methods that you use on your boat.

What I mean is , say your drifting fishing behind the boat. Rod lengths will help you stagger your lines a little better. If I use some more rods out of the sides I might use the 8' to keep my line separated more from the back rods. Most rods I buy I like to have two of the same. It just helps keep a balance .

Not sure if I explained my thoughts very well, LOL.

All my rods are made from Shakespeare, the ugly cats and power rods

5. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    try the meathunter rods, there just as good as any of the 70 doller rods, for about 35 bucks, way to good of a rod built for that price, and those are customs as well, you can use a longer rod as well to, we use some 10's and 12's on occasions in the rod holders

6. healthydrink

healthydrink New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    I have been using the Bill Dance Quantum combos (I got 4 of them)that Bass Pro sells for $69.99. I was worried they might not hold up so I bought the warranty they sell. For the line (Big Game 30lb), pole combo, tax, and warranty it is right at $100.00. They have done well so far. The warranty covers them for two years if anything goes wrong with them they send you a gift card for the purchase price so you can get another one or something else, and you get to keep the broken item.

7. Douglas Foster

Douglas Foster New Member

State:
    SW Oklahoma
    I'm a big fan of the 7 foot Ugly Stick Tiger rods, the brownish colored ones. Available at Bass Pro or Oklahoma Academy's for around $60. Fish on! Doug

8. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for the information.but the funds are a little low after rebuilding a sooner craft with a 4 cyl motor. hope to see you fishing:0a22::0a22::0a22::0a22: thanks again god bless our troops

9. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Ugly Stik Catfish Rods for me! $30 from Walmart

10. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    Try the wildcat (Troph-E-Cat) collection from Catfish connection. I use the 7 1/2 ft mh or h action rods. They have handled fish for me in the 40/60 pound range and no problems. They have good sized handles and a great backbone, try these for $32.95, page 6 of the Catfish connection catalog.:cool2:

11. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    There's really no need to buy special rods for boat fishing. I regularly use 12 foot rods on my boat simply for the distance they will cast.

I have seen that bluecats spook easily, so I fish 100-150 feet away from the boat in undisturbed water. I try to anchor up at least 25 yards from my target area in order not to disturb it.

Use the rod and reel you are acustomed to fishing with.

Albert

12. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Wal-mart sells Berkley Big Game rods for around $20 and they are fine for catfishing.

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    If it says ugly-stik on it ya can't go wrong:wink: just match the size rod for the fish you are targeting, myself I like a 1 piece rod, go to wally world or were ever, don't like rods that are mail orderd, to much $$$ to ship:wink:

14. pup

pup New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    thanks for all the info need to look at some of these rods :0a22::0a22::0a22::0a22:good fishing and god bless our troops

15. whiskersister

whiskersister New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Lots of great information....we are going to have to step it up a notch!!!!!:wink:

16. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I recently got rid of my ugly stick and catfish series shakespeare rods, while they are very sensative and flexible they didn't have the backbone to fight bigger fish out of log jams or heavy current. I switched to 6 1/2 ft shakespeare sturdy sticks. they still have the sensative tip but have all the backbone you need to hoist big fish out of cover. I've already used it to land a 39 lb 7 oz flattie this year. The team catfish rods are great too I have a 3/4 ton spinning and I love it. either one of these is ideal for me, either boat or bank fishing.

17. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'll second that! I've got a 8 foot meathunter with a 6000 on it. It's a perfect boat rod and will crank in anything!

18. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Im gonna try one of the 10' rods that tanner sells down on texanna rd on eufaula lake. I got to stress test one and i stressed it so much the epoxy on the eyes was krinkling. He has a life time replacement on them. Says he dont care if you hook jaws if you break it you get a new one free. Now the clincher was i was pulling hard like it was a one peice rod and it was a 2 peice to my suprise. Kinda pricey at $125 but its built to your color and style with your name on them.

Foggy :cool2:

19. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I sure love my 9 and 10 foot custom tough stix I got from Leeland. You can find him at Cherokeerodcompany.com I think. He's a BOC guy but I don't know his handle. Hope this helps.

20. rigrunner(236)

rigrunner(236) New Member

State:
    Ft Cobb Lake, Oklahoma
    His handle is Cherokee Rod Man. Makes some of the finest rods.