Catfishing out of a Pontoon Boat on MS River

Discussion in 'Boating' started by patrickgd, Dec 13, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I'm hoping someone out there can offer some boating isight here. I'm considering getting a Pontoon Boat for catfishing on the Ms River in Memphis. I'm a real big guy and I don't feel comfortable moving around in smaller boats which is why I'm considering a pontoon. I guess my main concern is would a pontoon boat do well at anchoring and drift fishing for catfish and would it be ok in the heavy current. Most folks I've asked say they think it would do great but I'm hoping to get some input from someone who has fished a big river in one. Thanks in advance!

2. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    My buddies dad used to have one and we took it out catfishing quite often on the Ohio River. It was a great boat to fish out of once you got set up. Just didn't go anywhere too fast and getting bait could be a bit of a pain. But man it was comfortable to fish out of, never seemed to care too much if the fish weren't biting!

You also might want to look into a big jon boat like the 24 foot Sea Ark's. Those things are bigger than most pontoons and just as stable. I think there is actually one for sale in the classified section.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I fished the Mississippi up near Alton out of another BOC members pontoon and it was great. Nothing like lounging out while waiting for a bite. I didn't see any issues with having it on the river and it was plenty big enough for 3 of us to fish out of. I understand shat your saying about being a big guy, I'm none too small myself and felt perfectly safe riding in that toon.

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Whistler and Kittycatcher river fish out of Whistler's toon all the time.

They could tell you the pros and cons I am sure. :big_smile:

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I can't answer specifically about how they handle in a river because I lake fish, but I couldn't imagine a pontoon not being able to handle anything an ordinary fishing boat could handle. I've fished from one for many years now, and I wouldn't think about going back to a traditional boat for catfishing, or any kind of fishing for that matter. I feel completely safe, AND comfortable in anything less than a 30mph wind, if its worse than that, you shouldn't be on the water anyway. Low speed control in the wind is the worst thing, but a trolling motor on front takes care of that. They are perfect for anchor, trolling and drift fishing.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i just finished spending 3 days fishing at tunica with cassk and coach and cass's toon done fine.

7. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I don't know about river fishing, but when I go to santee fishing they are what most of the Guides use to fish out of.

8. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used to fish out of a pontoon it was great never had any problems .

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I fish out of 20' toon on the Mississippi near St.Louis. No problems. :wink:

10. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    heres a tip.get a bas or john boat lol it would look weird hauling in a huge cat onto a ponoon lol....RAT

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Only to the envious!:wink:

True Cat fishermen will proudly fish out of anything but a "bass boat","IF" at all possible.:eek:oooh:Now in desperation,they will fish out of or off of anything and hope no one who knows them sees them!:smile2:

Some even use "pink" line in a attempt to catch a Cat."They just call it red",but we all know what color it really is.He,he:tounge_out:

How do I know these things?I been guilty of it for all of my 63 years of life.:embarassed::eek:oooh::roll_eyes::smile2::wink:

12. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    well pat a pontoon is nice and stable that is the good thing about all though. the wind will blow you around like crazy. if you hang a monster you have to reach down a foot or so to get it in you will need a good net.when a barge comes threw you will get beat to death .if i can give you some advice find yourself a old ski boat there is one on memphis graigs list for 500 i would check that out .a ski boat is stabile reliable easy to control and cheap

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Just when I was thinkin I had'nt seen you in awhile Richard, there you are.

This is just the kind of feedback I was hoping for, some pros and cons. So far it seems the pros are way out weighing the cons.

Thanks to all who have shared Please keep all the good experience coming.

14. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have been fishing from a pontoon on the Colorado. While its not a big river (in my opinion), the currents can still get a little much to handle even with a good set of anchors. My buddy and found that tying off to trees and brush can help out much more effectively and you wont have to worry about anchor lines getting in the way when you got a big one on. Now that I know the comfort of fishing from a pontoon, its my prefered way to spend the night on the water.

15. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

I agree that you can get pretty beat up when a barge goes by, it's like sitting on a dock in the middle of the river.

One thing that makes me not want a ski boat is the fact that most are inboards and they have to be winterized this time of year and it's the best time for the big boys!

I know we usually get our shad in smaller creeks off the Ohio and a pontoon can really suck for going in them, that's the reason that i suggested a bigger jon boat. Those things are huge, they have 8 foot beams and they are just as stable as a toon.