Catfishing Opossum Lake

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by trackeryak, May 24, 2006.

1. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    A couple weeks ago I got out for my first catfishing trip of the year. Fished in the evening at Opossum Lake. The lake is drawn down about 14 feet right now due to a leak in the dam but you can still fish it. I was fishing for bullheads for a fish fry. I caught over 50 and kept 14 of them and put the rest back. I was using large shiners cut in half.

Anyone else fishing this lake?

2. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Tim it's good to see your back posting agen!!!!!!!!!! Did you give Smallie fishin?

3. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Still fishing for smallies Jim but always have time for some catfishing too!

4. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I hit Opossum Lake again Saturday evening from 6:45 pm until 10 pm when the lake closes. Fishing was pretty dang good! I kept 26 bullheads for a fish fry and tossed a few of the smaller ones back. Most were caught on pieces of raw shrimp. I also caught a bass and a big bullhead on shrimp.

The turtles were active too. I hooked two big MONSTER snapping turtles. I don't mess with turtles so I cut my line when they got to the bank. The biggest turtle was at least 15 inches across his shell and he was not a happy camper....hissing, tearing at my line with his feet, etc. I had 35 lb test braided original Tuf line so he couldn't tear that but he did do a number on my 10 test mono leader.

5. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    Post above should have said I caught a bass and a big bluegill on shrimp too.

6. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I fished Opossum Lake again Sunday evening from 6 pm to 10:30 pm with a friend of mine from Baltimore. We caught almost 50 bullheads, kept the biggest 8 and put the rest back. Shrimp again was the ticket. Loads of fun.

7. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Tim Arent them Snapper's a pain in the a-- I got one 2 week's ago, not as big as you got but still no fun. I also just cut the line. Are you getting any Channel's on them Shrimp? I used Shrimp a lot of year's back for Channel's and did well on them, the nice thing about them you can eat what's left over.:big_smile:

8. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    I really haven't used shrimp yet this year where there are channels, just fishing for bullheads. I'm off work for 9 days the beginning of August for vacation and plan to chase some channel cats a few nights. I definitely plan to give the shrimp a try! Although I don't think I'd want to eat the leftovers after they sit out for a while, LOL.

Yeah the snappers are a pain but fun too.

9. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Hey Tim I forgot to ask are you useing cooked shrimp or raw? I'm a haveing a senior moment, I cant remember witch one's I used. Man getting old really suck's.

10. trackeryak

trackeryak New Member

State:
    Mechanicsburg PA
    LOL Jim. I'm using raw shrimp, seems to have more scent to it. And I am breaking one shrimp into two pieces and using one piece at a time. It's enough scent for the bullheads and the shrimp last longer too!