Catfishing only tackle shop?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by osthusna, Mar 31, 2009.

1. osthusna

osthusna New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Hey guys i have a question for all of ya that are somewhat near the lincoln area. I have a friend that tried to start up a tackle shop last summer but never got the business he needed. I recently put up a post about his sale. But i was talking to him and thought that if he started up a Catfishing only tackle shop kind of like ..................com that he would probably be successful. What is your guy's take on something like that. Would you buy things from him? Would you spread the word on his shop? When he had his old shop he was 25% cheaper than everybody and i mean everybody else in town. He is not looking to make a shit load of money he just wants to contribute to the fishing community.

LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!

2. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Welcome to the BOC
    It may be hard to compete with all of the online stores now,but I would give him a shot. Its going to be hard to beat the service and prices of the fine sponsers here at the BOC :cool2::smile2: But the answer is yes always willing to help a brother out if possible !

3. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Like Big Vic said, it would really hard to compete with online stores and the availabilty of them. But it would be really cool to have an all Catfish Tackle store in the Nebraska area!! I would make the roadtrip to help him out, by purchasing some tackle from him. COOL!:wink:

4. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Stop and pick me up if ya do !! :smile2::smile2: I looked on craigs list,and if I found the right add it is April 9th and 10th 9am. - 6pm. for the garage sale ! :cool2: Just noticed that I put this in the wrong place. CRAP ! oh well sorry !

5. colburn

colburn New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    i would give him a chance

6. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    between Ebay and all the other online stores itd be kind of hard to compete and stay afloat but i would DEFINATELY shop at a catfish only bait shop.....as long as ya keep it near the aubrn area :smile2:

7. osthusna

osthusna New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    to the guy talkin about keepin the tackle store near the auburn area. there is no possible way it could be in the auburn area. he would run it out of lincoln. that would be as close as he could get to auburn.

thanks

8. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    :smile2: just wishful thinking, but yeah id make a bi-monthly road trip over to lincoln to stock up, only bout an hour away...

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If he is not right in the middle of a hot catfishing lake or river, Don't think he will pull that off. We had one here in Tn near Pickwick dam on the Tn river. He was not making what it was costing him to stay open. He started selling other stuff to go along with the catfish stuff and did well.
    Most products are priced where its hard to sell under 25% of someone else and keep the doors open.
    As of now all we sell is for catfisherman on our website. And its tough. If we were planning on it paying the bills it would not do it. And we also manufacture a lot of our products. Like the Kat Bobbers, Jug kits, Safety floats and its still a tough market. I just got in 1000 Gama Octopus offset circle hooks. And even buying them at a 1000 pack I'm not going to make enough off them to keep on stocking them. I can't even make 25% on them. But selling hooks for me adds to sales that cause buyers to buy other products.
    If it were not for my wholesale dealers that buy to sell to bait shops on our products we make. I would just close down.
    I wish him luck, and if we can help him out on the products we make let me know.
    Pete

10. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thats dam nice of ya Pete !! props to ya.:cool2:

11. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    Where is it and what's the name? Also we are looking for some sponsors for our big tourny pm me for info on the tourny stuff

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    If I were about to go fishing and needed something for the trip I'm not likely to shop online and wait a few days for it to arrive. On the other hand if he wants to stay afloat he needs to sell other stuff to survive. He should sell tackle for other fish, night fishing stuff, propane, soda pop, doughtnuts, hot dogs & buns, mantles for the lantern, turkey liver, night crawlers shad sides, reline reel spools. There have been many times when I stop at the bait shop but then I have to go to the grocery store too and it eats up too much time.

13. osthusna

osthusna New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    when he had his tackle shop last year he had everything imaginable. except for the grocery side of it (hot dogs, buns, soda, etc.) He absolutely knows that he needs to carry a variety. Last year he sold shad guts, night crawlers, liver, bluegill, goldfish, frogs and a whole slew of tackle. I am just kind of feeling this idea out for him to see if it would possible work and I greatly appreciate everyone's input. KEEP IT UP BROTHERS!!!!

thanks a bunch

14. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    it would be hard to compete with some of the already established companies, and making the shop exclusively for catfish may hurt his business endeavors, seeing that catfishing isn't the most popular style of fishing. but hey if he's gonna have stuff for cheap i'll give him a chance and spread the word!

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Is he on the out skirts of town ? that may help if he is on the way to the lake :cool2:

16. osthusna

osthusna New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    he would actually be located on 40th and la salle which is about 40th and highway 2.

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    kewl let me know when he opens up... id rather go there then the shop on 48th and hwy 2

18. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    How close is that to Branched Oak? I use the bait shop in Emerald.

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    30 miles give or take 2-3.. opposite sides of lincoln.

20. newtothesport

newtothesport New Member

State:
    nebraska
    To me the most important thing a bait shop can do is know the fishing conditions and put people where they are bitting. I buy my bait and as much tackle as i can in emerald because generally they can help get to where fish are bitting. I'm not a cat hound yet so this i very valuable to me. I'll drive out of my way to get this kind of info.