Catfishing On The Red River (Part II)

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by cuttingout69, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Today was a rather large day for us. With the add sets and two of us working them we did rather well, with 16 coons, 3 otter, 9 beaver, 4 rats, and 2 snapping turtles. We got home around 4 again today and started skinning. Finished up around 8 pm. Thank the Lord my mother is keeping my childern this week and she had us some supper cook, hot and ready to eat. We managed get some more sets out today on a duck lease. Here are some pics of the days catch with out the rats. We used them for cat bait today.

I plan to post every night on this line as I was asked to do it on the last line and could not do it from the river. Nothing real funny happen today except Eric caught his thumb in a 280 killer trap at the first stop of the morning. He cried about that all day. I told him he should just paint the rest of his finger nails black then it would not show up as much. Heck of a thing, he ant got but 9 1/2 fingers to start with and here he goes trying to knock another 1/2 off. I just think he wants to have and whole odd number of fingers. I will say that half a finger comes in handy for him. He show you a day and a half using his hands, or even make change with his fingers. All though he had to quite umpireing, cause there is no such a thing a strike and a half. The coachs got smart and told him there batter still had another half a swing.

Oh well enough about Eric handy cap, I did not tell ya'll that Eric wife came with us today. That women knows she can set traps and tot beaver. She even skinned her first beaver this evening. She got right in there with us at the cleaning table, she was getting the coons ready by ringing their feet, and then I would make the rips, pull back to the knee, then Eric would take the hide off and gut the them. We had LC washing and storing the coon meet. Worked out well, and we got though a lot fast than if just Eric and I were doing. I will say though, Carmen's beaver was the cleanest skinned one of the day.

Well got to get some sleep, see ya'll tommorow.

Attached Files:

2. dahoss2002

dahoss2002 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good catch Alsey! I usually release that size too unless I aint got any fish in the freezer. Im gonna set out my trotlines this weekend. U gonna be close to centurytell or down at the dam?

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I think I have a good chance of catching a personal record. I've fished this spot for 5 years and never caught anything over 2 pounds and they were all channels. All of a sudden there's these huge blues in 8-12 ft of water. I'm taking the camera in case I do get a real monster. I was planning on going tomorrow but now they show a chance of rain so I'm taking the afternoon off today.
    Wish me luck.

4. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    That's some catch, Tony. It is nice to have some help to skin all them critters, huh?

5. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I call it Lake Nenock but I'm not sure that's it's correct name. It's the resevoir East of the lock and dam. It's to your left as you drive out to the lock and dam before you get to the dog leg in the road.

6. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    above or below the dam?

I want to try bank fishing below the dam this year also.

has anyone had any luck chumming a area regularly on the red? Wondering if it is worth the effort?

7. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I haven't weighed them yet. I think the both of them weigh between 18 and 24 pounds combined. Didn't break any personal records but they put up good fights. Seems like they quit biting around 4 pm these last 3 times I've been.

8. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Marshall, Texas(Crossroad
    Looks like ya'll are having good luck on the trap line. Tony, I would think that Eric's half finger would come in handy when it comes to skinnin. He can just poke that sucker in there and ream the hide right off the meat!! LOL!!

Has anyone been fishin up by the pumphouse?

I'm hoping to get to go friday night if everything works out. Where's the best place for me to catch shad around Teague launch?

Changed the oil, filter & footgrease in the outboard this evening and got the batteries charging. I've got to catch something so I can try out the cleaning table. Don't do no good to build something if you ain't using it.

Alsey, looks like your havin fun.

Well guy's I see we've done filled up one thread and got us another one going now. One things for sure, we believe in participation.

Has the rain helped create some current yet? Looks like the R4 is up and running. I think we're all gonna have a blast. See ya'll on the river. Good Luck and Good Fishin!!!

Ty

9. wareagle

wareagle New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Looks like somebody is going to have to get a lot of sweet taters for all that coon meat.:)

10. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here is the pic from day three on the line. 15 coons, 1 big bore mink, 8 beaver, 2 rats and 1 otter. To tired to type much. See ya'll tommorrow.

Attached Files:

11. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Hey Ty, me and my son should be out there Friday night. It's the first weekend I am not working in a while. We are going to put up a tent and stay the night if the weather is nice. Give me a shout if you make it, I will be in a camo SeaArk.

Tony, you are going to run out of room with all that coon meat if you don't watch out.;)

12. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Hey Kevin, where are ya'll going to be on the Red friday night? I'm hoping to be there.

13. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I plan on fishing around the pumphouse, maybe a little north. If you get out there and don't see me give me a call on my cell: 458-2780. If you don't have a cell then send up the "Buttman Signal" (get it? it's like Batman but my last name is Butts...oh, nevermind) you can just yell and I will use the Force.:rolleyes:

14. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Kevin, are ya'll going to catch shad for bait or use bream? Are you going to run lines or R&R fish or a little of both? If your catching shad where can I find them and how deep?

15. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Here are the pics from day 4. It was a wild and working hard day today. We had 18 coons, one of which a Cat had eaten on for us. If he comes back looking for supper tonight, he will get a supprise. Eric caught 12 of the 18 coons, good thing I carried him along ha! By what he said his will be easy to pick out in the pic, as his are the largest. LOL We also caught 7 beaver, 1 otter, 1 mink, and 1 coyote, which was my first snare catch on a coyote ever. It is raining tonight which will help the catch a lot tomorrow, as all the animals love to hunt in the rain.

My hands and feet are hurting so bad. I bet I have 50 cuts and 100 sticker in my fingers. By the end of the week they should be use to it.

Oh yes, we saw some hogs today. I got to with in 30 yards of them before they saw me and took off. I smoked ones butt when he stop to look back and I heard a meat pop on another one. But a 6 shoot 22 just dose not do much for a wild hog unless you hit him behind the ear.

Attached Files:

16. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Ty, I will not be there Fri. night. I have to work after all ( I knew I shouldn't count my chickens till they hatched!:p ). I plan on going Sat. night now. I haven't been north of 12 mile in a few weeks but the last time I was there I caught all of my shad in 3-4 of water along the sandbar. I don't know if they are still there or you may have to try a little deeper. Shad is about the only thing I can get to produce right now. Good luck and try to leave a little for me to catch on my R&R Sat. night!;)

17. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    You right Tony, Eric's coons are the largest. LOL

18. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Dang Kevin, don't you just hate it when that happens, although it does help out the bank account! I'm still not sure if I'm going to be able to go yet but I hope so if the weather holds out.

Guess we need to get us a big ole flathead to surface and see if he can see his shadow! Seems like everybody else has got something!! LOL!!!

Ty

19. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well I did not think it could get any better, but it did. Today we caught 21 coons, 3 otter, 6 beaver, 3 rabbits, 1 skunk, and 4 rats. The cat did come back last night, but he found him some fresh food to feed on, like a rabbit in a killer trap. It will mess up and come back one time to many and I will have him.

I am having fun and getting tired, and I sure am getting fish hungery. I will be so ready to go to the river after this line is over. I will be ready to pull some of those big flat heads in that new boat with the big dent in it.

Ty, did I tell you I have already dented my new boat, Eric was not watching where I was going and let me run smooth over a stob in the river. Put a big dent in the front end of my boat, I think those Navy guys call it the bow. I could not beleive he let me do that, he yell real loud just before impact. I thought he saw and otter or something so I went to looking harder for a critter. I did break the stob off tho. I guess I taught it a lesson about running infront of me. :crying:

Attached Files:

20. reverend_ty

reverend_ty New Member

State:
    Tony, the first dent or scratch is hard. You spend all your time looking for stuff that might hit your new boat. The good news is now you don't have to worry about that anymore, it's a done deal. Now you can concentrate on other stuff!

It's a big relief to me too, now with a dent the fish won't be jumpin in for a ride, you'll have to catch them the old fashion way, FISHIN!!!

Ty

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.