Catfishing on the Red River (Part 6)

Discussion in 'LOUISIANA RIVERS TALK' started by ar_confederate, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ar_confederate

ar_confederate New Member

State:
    Minden, Lo
    Man, it sounds like everyone had fun but Buddy and me. I went to the gunshow and saw a sweet Berreta 40 S&W. Unfortunately, I already have too many guns that I really don't use anymore. Did pick up some ammo for my Makarov though. It was a nice day but I'm getting to need a fishing fix.

Congratulations on your new boat Kevin. I already ordered your camo lounger for you. They had a hard time finding the camo fabric though. Lavender wasn't a common color.

Tony, congratulations to you on joining that team of refs. I got to meet a ref who works in the NFL. He had some funny stories but sometimes it sounds like more than a few people want to beat the living c..p out of you if they don't like your call. Have you ever penalized a coach for giving you too much grief?

Again, congratulations on the fine catches this weekend.

2. badbob46

badbob46 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    well, i found the tournament thread, but to my dismay there were no rules posted, not real ones anyway.. so where can i find the rules so i can decide if i wanna play or not?

3. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Dang you guys are catching some good fish.

Sorry to see your trailer troubles Buddy. I saw a whole bunch of trailer tires at the Teague launch parking lot this afternoon.
    I bet somebody had your size. :big_smile:

We have been having a blast in Logan's piroque. Yesterday we went out and weren't in the water 20 minutes before we saw 2 deer. Logan was the only one fishing and caught 10 bass and as many bream. We ran arcoss a Gatorade bottle that was bobbing but left it; it ain't mine.
    We learned that a trolling motor on a piroque defeats its purpose so it came off last night. The water in the flat is too shallow in some spots to have a trolling motor plus the place we launch requires a slide down a bank. The thing about sliding a piroque down a bank when you launch it is that you have to pull the piroque back up the bank when your done and that was a chore I care not to repeat. We went out in the stripped down piroque this morning for 2 hours and only caught a couple of bass and load of bream and one catfish, all on a bass lure. Now, before yall go badmouthing catfish for biting a bass lure, you need to know that Logan was sightfishing and snagged the catfish with the lure. The water in the Flat is clear enough right now to sightfish and it is a hoot. Logan actually tries to deny the bream his lure because he is targeting a bass he can see and the bream sometimes beat the bass to the lure. I know, I know. I can't do a thing with him.

We ran arcoss that Gatorade bottle again this morning and picked it up. I figured it was abandoned. It had a nice channel cat on it and a long braided line. I figure then that it was being run from the bank so it told Logan to put it back in the water. I pulled on the line to figure out where the thing was tied off to because we were kinda in the middle of nowhere and I didn't see a clearing on the bank. I finally pulled up a rod which was broken at the butt. I continued to pull on the line and pulled up a reel. A saltwater Garcia Mitchell 624 baitcaster in great shape; everything looks and works like new! It ought to make a good downrigger setup. The rod is a True Temper with a long wooden handle. It looks old but would be a cool wall-hanger

4. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Ah so Logans gonna be a BASS fisherman. Thats cool.lol:big_smile_2:

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Sgt Rob sounds like a great day the rod would look cool on the wall and be a future reminder of the fun times when Logan was younger.

Too bad about the bass thing but my 10 year old is going throught the same thing. Hope it's just a phase he'll grow out of.

6. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    Truely disturbing news coming out of the household McKay.:eek:oooh:

7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

State:
    Benton, Louisia
    I think we are planning on going Friday night also. I would love to get in on this mass-noodling!

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Continuation Thread from Part 5

9. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Man we made it to part 6, boy do we talk or what.:cool2:

10. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    In on the first page!!!

11. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I came back with 12 nice size fish this morning. I released one around 8-10 from a noodle. I picked up 3 more stray noodles. Do yall think I'm wrong picking up feral noodles? I figure if we didn't pick up each other's lost noodles the riverbanks would be lined with them and noodlers would get a bad rap. I don't use them. I take them out whenever I go in case I run into the owner.

Tony, thanks for dropping the prop off at Rob's. I'll swing by and get it after
    work this week.

12. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Rob,Friday night sounds good to me at teagues.Look forward to seeing ya'll..

13. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Friday sounds like a winner, I'll be thar

14. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    This got left on Part 5 somehow, so just to get everyone on the same page...

Some not-so-disturbing news:

The Decals are FINALLY in.

If you missed the boat and didn't order any, you can purchase a 2 1/4 X 16" decal but only for a few more days. I'm mailing them to Paul for him to sell in the BOC store.

We will have a little meeting this Friday evening to issue out the decals and have a mass juggin. I bet we can take over the whole river!

How does Friday @ 7:00 PM at the Teague pavillion sound to everyone?

We can B.S for 30 minutes or so then hit the river in full force with our new catfish1.com decals.

15. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    Here is what I have for decal orders:

Sgt Rob 2 white, 2 black $20
    Tony 2 white $10
    Dewayne 2 white $10
    David/Amanda 2 white, 1 chrome $15
    Eric 2 white, 2 black $20 (I don't ship to Mexico)
    Jim 2 white, 1 black $15
    Emmett 2 black $10
    Buddy 2 white $10
    Rupert 2 chrome $10
    Susie 2 black $10
    Joe 2 white $10
    Kevin 2 white, 2 black $20
    Will 2 white $10 (I'll will ship to TX)
    Bud 2 large white $10

16. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Jim I think your doin good by pickin em up. Lord knows we don't want anybody talkin bad about us noodlein.lol

17. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Ran the new prop today. With 30.7 mph once, but will run 28-29 easy when trimmed up right. We ran from Teague to about 6 miles south of the port, or about a mile north of bee hive lake entrance. I have not put the pin to it, but I think is some where around 30 miles round trip we made today and used around 3 gal or a little more. I think I am get around 10 miles to the gallon on the new Tohatsu. I sure do like it so far. We could tell right away that the prop made a big difference. It would set you back in your seat, and you did not have to wind it up over a mile to hit top speed. It would hit top speed in a short distance. I am happy. Now I don’t have to listen to Rob and Eric talk about how slow my boat is. In fact as soon as Rob gave me first MPH reading, I asked how fast his boat went. When He told me, I let out a big “yahoo! I can’t out run Rob”. For a little while any way.

18. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
  19. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Good looking tank Tony.

20. WildWillie

WildWillie New Member

State:
    Rockport, TX
    I noticed you mentioned needing a relief valve. Take a look at www.agri-supply.com . They have all sorts of sprayer parts. I happened to be in VA a couple years ago, and went to one of their stores. I picked up a threaded plastic relief valve to go in a water tank and transfer pump system I had built. Seems the valve was about 15 bucks. Those folks are very good to deal with. I have ordered lots of stuff from them.

Will

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.