Catfishing On The Osage River--Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks (Part1)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by spoonfish, Aug 12, 2006.

1. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thought I would start a thread for us on fishing the Osage River System. (Truman Lake and Lake of the Ozarks)
    Now I know we can never post as much as the Louisiana red river folks but thats ok LOL. :roll_eyes:
    If you have any info on fishing Truman or LOZ let us know.
    I fished with Primitivefrn (JIM) today on Truman Lake. We fished the upper Osage at Brush Creek at Osceola in there tournament. Winning team had 46.5 pounds (5 fish limit) they were all blues. We didnt place today but had a great time. The folks that run it and everyone there are good people. They have one every month. The baby shad are still every where in the lake and locating the big ones can be difficult. We threw about ever thing at the fish today, bullheads, perch, shad and even prepared bait. We tryed drifting and anchoring on fish but never where able to hook up with any fish of size. I know the fishing has been better down on the lower end of the lake and have been hearing that drifting is good around KK island. Any one else been out let us know........

2. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Launched out of Long Shoal last night, Shad were for once very abundant around the marina and after a couple thows I had more than enough. I actually went up the Tebo arm and anchored up. We had 6 nice eating size cats 1-6 pound range. The cats were slow but the crappie were hitting good, brought back 19 between the two of us. All in all it was an awsome night on the lake.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good to hear you had a good night Mark.
    How where you getting the crappies, night bobbers?

4. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We were fishing 15 - 25 ft of water on the outside edge of trees. Using a lantern and a floating fising light. It would take a while for the baitfish to show up but once they did man the bite would just explode. The bait of choice on Friday was just a minnow on a plain hook with a split shot to get some depth. no bobbers just flipping it on the edge of the brush letting it fall back towards the boat making sure it would get down at least 12 ft. Half the time you would get hit on the fall back but rarely did you go more than 5 minutes without a hit. Just wished the cats were biting as well. Just hard to concentrate on multiple fish. Going back this weekend hopefully the cats will be as willing to play as the crappie were.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good report Mark! I have a floating light and it works really well on crappie. Good luck this week end. I plan to be going out then also. They have a all night tournament at taberville on sat. not for sure if we are going to fish it or not yet but if not plan to be on the water somewhere.
    Wish we would get some good rains the lake is getting low. I'm thinking it may be better to fish the lower end of the lake right now. May just do some drifting around KK or the mile long bridge flats.
    Would like to hit it below the dam on LOZ but with out any water running I will stay up on Truman....

6. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished Truman yesterday afternoon/evening, but I was on the grand arm. Too windy for me to drift effectively, gave up on that and went behind a bluff to fish. Brought home a few nice crappies. Couldn't get cats to hit my live goldfish. Crappies were 15 feet deep on cedars in 30 feet of water. Could only get one good fish per tree, generally. Caught 4 or 5 crappie in the 8 - 9 inch range for every good one. Still fun to get out since I hadn't been on the water in a month.

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I gotta get out and chase some crappie, usally don't even bring my poles along but I did rig one up for some stink bait this week end. Jim and I tryed some looper rigs out, Jim looked at me and said this is the most I've ever tryed prepered baits. LOL I said me too. Man did are hands stink well I know mine did anyway driving home ....:eek:oooh: The loopers do work very well though.
    Thanks for the report Larry!

8. sherdan

sherdan New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Missouri
    What about these tournaments? I haven't fished much on Truman in the last few years but would like to start again. Got any info on these tournaments Spoonfish, I think I might like to give one a shot if they're not too expensive.

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Danny the BOC has an on-line catfishing tournament coming up that you can get involved in at a low cost. The Tournament Forum also has info on the ones your asking about.:wink:

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
  11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I fished below Truman last Friday morning. I didn't have any luck, but the guys down the bank from me were getting a keeper size crappie every now and then on a jig.

The highlight of the trip was watching the spoonbill jump. They looked to be smaller ones, under 20 lbs, and they were catching 3-4 feet of air on their better jumps. At times I could look down the channel and see several in the air at once.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Danny they have one once a month at Brush Creek ramp and also one a month at Taberville ramp. They cost 20.00 per person and 5 dollars extra if you want to get in on the big fish pot. I know Taberville is this Sat. and it is going to be a all nite trny. from 7pm to 7 am. Jim and I thought about entering it but at this time I doubt we are going to. The next one at Brush Creek will be Sept. 9th I believe. and it runs from 7am until 2 pm. We will definetly be fishing it I'm sure. Come on up to it and join us, they are a lot of fun.

Gary those spoonbills have been jumping all over. They come completely out of the water. Kind of neat to watch, just glad they don't do it while your motoring. Wouldn't be good to be hit by one of the big dudes LOL.
    Thanks for the report Gary! I haven't fished the dam for a while. I fish it quite a bit in the spring for crappies and walleyes. I like to go in the evening and use a road runner jig tipped with minnow and use a nite bobber, works really well....

13. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Fishing on the LOZ has been fantastic this month! That gator with the bounty on his head must be keeping them cats hungry! Lots of fish in the 12 to 20lb range with a couple of large ones as well. Contrary to Truman the fish down here are deeper due to the absence of a thermalcline. Most fish have come from 20+ ft of water. We also caught what I think is a large skipjack in the shad net this weekend.(it had teeth) See ya on the water!

14. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished the flats around KK on Sunday, bite was slow but constant, nothing large but a good mess of eating size blues and channels. Spent about 3 hours and had to clean 14 or so all in all not a bad day on the lake.

15. timpndr20

timpndr20 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm gonna try my honey hole this comeing monday on LOZ,hopefully the boat traffic will be calmed down by then. we had been catching some nice one's in 15 to 30 ft. of water in early august,but that is the last opertunity I have had to fish.So wish me luck.

16. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Good to hear some new reports guys.

There will be another tournament a week from this saturday at brush creek ramp on Truman. You Missouri Osage river rats ought to try to come on up and wet a line. Me and Jim will be there to contribute some funds for the winners.

Seems like a lot of the fish have been on the lower end of both lakes this year with our low lake levels and lack of rain. Hope this weather change and recent showers will help to improve with catching on fish over the 20 # mark.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I'll be drifting around KK Island with my dad on Friday afternoon and evening, and then will be back on Labor Day Monday with my kids. Hope the wind blows better than it's currently forecast...

Oh - and I won't forget the drift socks this time around... :roll_eyes:

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Had respectable evening of drifting on Truman last night - got on the water around 5pm with a northeast wind blowing about 10 mph. First fish in the boat within 2 minutes, then a steady parade of fish right up until dark. Once the sun dropped over the horizon, the bite shut off almost completely. The wind held out until about 10pm and then it quit too.

I ended up with 13 fish (3 channels, 10 blues) and dad caught 4 blues. Nothing of any size to speak of, mostly 1 to 2 lbs with a few 4 lb eaters in the mix.

My experience is telling me that you won't catch a big catfish drifting on Truman - we've been at it for over a year now and with probably 300 fish in the boat during that time, the biggest so far is 11 lbs.

So I need to start figuring out how to target the big fish specifically, especially as the temperature starts to cool - we won't be able to drift much past the end of October or so, which means I need to learn how to find the fish in the deep holes.

Going back down on Monday with my kids - if the bite is as good as it was last night, they're going to have an absolute blast.

19. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I was up to Truman on the Osage fork today and caught 3 dinks, still had a good time but the fishing wasn't that good. Sure beats going to work !!!!

20. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa