Catfishing on the Great Miami

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by odog127, Jul 31, 2008.

1. odog127

odog127 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I work sencond shift so I get alot of night fishing in. I have been bouncing around a bit on the Great Miami River Between The old Damn in hamilton and the New Damn. Below the old damn has been great Monday night I caught 8 to 10 small cats biggest being about 5 lbs. Last night behind the Eagles we were fishing for shovelheads and caught 1 about 22lbs and my co worker caught 1 about 10lbs and 1 about 25 lbs. We were to busy talking and almost lost the pole twice. The Great Miami has really turned on this year and you can tell it. Many of the good spots are taken every night. It is best to get there early in the evening or you might not get that prime looking spot. Good Luck to all and hope to see you there.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats funny that you say the GMR has really turned on this year, all of us up in the Dayton area think its just the opposite, its been horrible all Spring and as far as we can tell the flatties are "still" spawning, not many good catches up this way, perhaps we will all carpool down to your neck of the woods, ha ha, Good report, thanks

Salmonid

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some real nice fish, congrats on the catch and keep us posted of any future outings

4. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    thats a good idea i am get a plague of turtles and carp a few shovelheads this year we should write a sign hamilton :eek:oooh:eek:r bust saturday I am off yes hey pm give me the address to the old dam rick

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Orville! I am glad to here someone post some catch numbers. I know that fish must be getting caught because like you stated there are a lot of people fishing the good spots. I'm also glad it looks as though they must not be keeping their catches either.

6. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    finally some good news on the GMR! im gonna hav to head down there again soon

7. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my uncle my dad and i went fishing at the gmr in the hamilton area and my dad caught a 10lb shovel head and a 12lb shovel. He was getting bites like crazy he missed 5 or so.

8. bigman44

bigman44 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just got back from the great miami and i landed a twenty lb shovel. and two days ago my bud got a thirty... we had been fishing all around hamilton all summer and these are the first two fish we'd caught. its about time..

9. fuman80

fuman80 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    now i am definately heading down there. sounds like the spawn is finally over. or at least the fishing is picking up lol

10. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Alex and Chris!

11. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I know were talkin about two different rivers but when it comes to the Ohio here is what I have found in the past few weeks. Not a huge commercial netting fan as most of you know but one of my friends of about 10 years just started commercial netting the ohio this year. He called me just last monday and told me he had a 32 lb shovelhead among with many others in his hoop nets and a lot of them were still spraying eggs out when he got them in the boat. Kinda funny to cause our Mr. know it all fish and game guy in my area told me that the shovelheads were for sure already done spawning over a month ago. By the way I tried like heck to tell my friend he should put those back. He told me that a 32 pound shovelhead gets him $80.00 at $2.50 a pound and there is no way there going back in if they get in his nets. Anyways that was only a week ago and many of these fish still had eggs. I evan stopped in and saw some of the fish he had and there was evan eggs floating all over in the holding tank.