Catfishing on Mississippi River

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BajaCoop, May 18, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I would like to fish the main river but do not have a boat. If you know of any or some other way i can accomplish this without buying a boat let me know.

Thanks

2. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thats a tough one bc
    but i fish the miss alot if you want you can hook up with me
    and go out in my boat

3. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    you are in the St. Louis area right?

It would be about 100 mile drive but I may be up for it some time.

4. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    How about from the bank? Find a eddie and have it. Maybe a wing dam or log pile?

5. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    have not had much luck fishing eddies. A few drum and that is it.

6. medicdano

medicdano New Member

State:
    louisiana
    I looked at an arial map of your area around Sikeston. North and south of you are 2 huge bends in the river. In those bends there will be big edddies, hundreds of yards long, along the bank. It might take a little leg work, but if drive along the levee and see a interesting spot find the owner of the land and ask permission to fish the river. Most of the time the owners won't have a problem, and they usually own a mile or two of riverfront that could all be at your diposel. It may take a month or two to find a couple good spots, but it would be worth it.

Also, I see there is a park at the Ohio Mississsippi confluence, upstream side. Maybe worth looking into.

ps. after looking at the ariel photos again, the bend in the river to the north has some sort of access road near the river. I can't tell what the bank looks like but the eddies are so big I can actually see them on the photo. (maps.live.com)

Hope this helps! Go catch em man!!:big_smile: