Catfishing on Lake Murray

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TCALL, Oct 30, 2006.

1. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone ever do any catfishing on Lake Murray???

I've caught a few cats while striper fishing (not many though), but never gone just for cats...

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Travis, I'd like to try Murray, but it's sooo big where would one start :crazy:

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I hadnt fished it yet but I did talk to the biologist over the lake.He said each year they're catchin more and more blues in gill nets and that people would be surprized at the number of blues in there.He said it want be long before they are the dominant species.Maybe it want be to long before Murray starts producing big blues if it doesnt already.Nobody ever fishes for cats there so who really knows.There used to be a fellow on here that caught alot of cats out of murray but he hadnt been here in a while.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used to live in SC and fished Murray a lot. Two places I would reccomend would be near SC&G #3 and 4 and also Scott's Landing. If you goto the landing you need to head out of the cove and off to the left towards the islands. go behind the islands and hold tight to them, about 20 foot off the island it is about 55-72 feet deep. We used herring and tried to keep our bait about 5-19 foot off of the island's and did good. The SG&G's are great bank spots both have goods and bads, I prefer #3 due to the channel that runs about 40 feet off the bank that all types of fish use for a ROAD WAY. Live and cut herring here also. Good luck. I have a good freind down there that fishes Murray a lot and he is also a member here said the fishing was still pretty good a couple of weeks ago but he hasn't been recently.

5. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Patmansc, I would put in at the State Park at the Dam. There are a ton of places to fish from there and you won't have to worry about shallow water.

The three islands out from the dam are the Spence Islands and behind them is Bomb Island to the left and Wessinger Island to the right. There are a few large forks of the lake to the right of Wessinger...that may be a good place to start...but like you said...the lake is big...so you may want to just make a scout trip and see what happens.

6. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    i live here on Murray and work at Lighthouse marina here on Murray, and cattin is my game here!!!! i was out the last four days in a row drift fishin around the west side of dreher island down to rocky creek and have been wearin them out!! red worms, wigglers or herring, doesn't matter! I haven't been on this site much lately posting because we moved and my computer is shot!!plus i haven't had time to be on the computer because i'm fishin so much!!! so i'm using the computer here at work!! hehe!! the water temp is 68 degrees right now here on Murray! and if i was new to this lake because it is massive and can be confusing, i would fish anywhere around Dreher island! It's takin me two solid years to know this lake and figure her out, which i'm still in the process of doing!! so good luck to all!!!

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, Tony & Travis!!! Think I'll try Murray next week, try to find a day when the weather will be nice and give her a shot. Where around there can I pick up some bait?

8. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    There are tons of places to get bait...if your going to put in at the state park...there's a place right across the dam (on the Lexington side) on the right called Lake World...and another place right down the road from there calle Better Bait and Tackle...these are the easiest places to go to by land...both sell live herron and worms, crickets, etc....

There are also a ton of places up around Dreher Island get bait like Tony was saying...

Let us know how you do...

9. TCALL

TCALL New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Tony...you ever do any striper fishing???

Do you do most of your fishing in the upper or lower part of the lake???

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Long time no hear Tony thought you was gone for good.What hours do you work on saturdays? I plan on coming down there in the next few weeks.Do you sale herring where you work?

11. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    were on the off season hours right now at the marina, 8 till 5 everyday! i only work here from wednesday thru saturday, thats why i fish so much. i have it pretty easy!! we don't sell bait but theres plenty of places around! the stripers have been on fire lately, i've been catching alot of those also! they school real early in the morning and the last hour before dark! right now there everywhere!! pretty hard not to see them schoolin!! have a great week everyone!!!!

12. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Have they opened the Lexington side of the dam back up to fishing yet? i know when they were builing the new dam it was closed for a while then they would let you fish but had a marker out that you couldn't pass bank are boat. Before that you could pretty much touch the concrete wall and fish off the bank.

13. tony

tony New Member

State:
    lake Murray sc
    no!! sorry!! there"s major construction going on over on that side. you can't get within 200 yards of that area! i did here that they won't be done until May of 2007!! when you live here on Murray you get used to the stuff that goes on around this lake! job security for alot of people! the lake has been low now for four years!! but the fishin is still great!! have a great weekend!!

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Thanks Tony. I know all about the lake and construction that goes on around it. I used to live there, Pelion, but worked on an ambulance in Lexington and Richland counties. Fished Murray a lot when I had time. Still come down every once and awhile and fish with a friend of mine, same guy I hit Santee with. Well Good Luck fishing yall I know Murray has some big catfish in it.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey Tony out of ten catfish you catch on Murray, how many will be blues? Also did you hear about a 75 lb blue gettin caught by a striper fisherman in Murray, it could just be a line of crap but you never know.

16. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    striper fisherman catch alot of cats esp blues when they are cut baiting for stripers, there was a 56 lb flattie caught last week while striper fishing on hartwell