Catfishing on Belews Creel / Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by holliswood, Dec 7, 2009.

1. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I've recently started back fishing again after a 10 year break from raising a son who now likes to fish. Anybody else fish on Belews?

2. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    No , I've never been before. I've been wanting to go for some time. There were a few reports about that lake during the summer. They did pretty well , albeit no blues or flatheads.

3. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    My boy and I have been catching mostly what appears to be white catfish. No specks on them at all. They're fun to catch for me. No monsters yet! Haven't seen any blue's either.

4. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Hollis, Welcome to the BOC! I have fished Bellews with varying results. In the spring, I did well in the creek for channels at night, no monsters but a couple of fish over 3#. During the summer I fished deeper water over some old roads and caught small channels and one small blue. There had been a devastating fish kill (selenium spill) years ago. I haven't heard of any monster fish coming out of Bellews (as a matter of fact, nothing over 10#). The water should remain warm throughout the winter, and fishing near the power plant should be good. I may fish there at some point this winter. I'll post a report if I do. Good luck.

5. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks Jim. That's about the sizes we've caught so far. My son caught one in the 3lb. range on a bobber and crappie minnow last month. We went the Saturday before Thanksgiving and only one bite in 5 hours. My buddy and myself went catfishing off of 65 on the western part of the lake about 10plus years ago and he caught a blue that was around 30 pounds. Long time ago though.