Catfishing Northern Missouri - Best Fishing Locations?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by jaroddog, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for anyone with experience or information about the area I fish. I live in Harrison county (Right on I-35, south of the Iowa border). I was wondering if you know of good places to catfish in my area. How about the Grand River or Big Creek. I've trotlined on the East fork of the Grand up at Denver, Missouri, but I'd like to find something closer. I'm crazy about creek/small river fishing, but if any of you have know about the other bodies of water in this area, I'd be thrilled. I live 1/3 mile away from a fork of Big Creek. My grandpa used to pull monsters out of this same area (decades ago). It never completely dries up, though it does run low some of the time. The reason I mention this is because I've fished there (only with jigs and spinnerbaits) and caught bluegill, largemouth bass, and some sort of strange fish with rows of barbs coming out of it's forehead, but am now wondering about the catfish situation. I'm afraid of trying worms, since the sucker type fish with barbs and bluegill will probably just clean my hook. Any suggestions on what type of bait to use in a small, slow-moving creek?

2. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    As a side note, I just found out that the strange small fish I've been catching are creek chubs. It's taken me forever to find out what they're called. Phew! I feel better now. :0a1: Sorry, I'll try to stay relevant.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Don't know much about that area,I'm a little south of you.
    Hold onto those creek chubs,they make great bait in the summer!!

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Ahh, don't tell anybody but horny head chubs are also good eating,tastes a lot like trout, don't have a lot of bones, come generally from headwaters with gravel and do not tolerate polution well. And yes makes great bait.

5. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hmm.... Interesting. I've caught quite a few down at this creek. Now I know they have their uses (good eating? go figure). Anyway, since I am posting on a catfish board, you'll all know what I'm wanting to find in this creek. What time of year can I catch channel catfish? I'd like to try soon, but are channels active this time of year? I guess I'll just have to set a trotline and see what kind of response I get. Any bait recommendations for small catfish in a small creek inhabited with other small fish that will strip your bait (wow that's a lot of smalls in one question)? Thanks

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Thompson river and grand river are both good spots.
    Lake paho in princeton is good also. Can't think of the name of it but there is a lake at leon, Ia. also that is good.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nice idea. Now I know where to go catch chubs come summer time. It's a good thing are farm is couple miles from big creek.

8. jaroddog

jaroddog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What Big Creek are you thinking of? Is it the one in Harrison County (considering there are countless Big Creeks)? If so, where is your farm located, I may know where it is? I actually catch the chubs on the East Fork of Big Creek. Are you familiar with or have you fished the Grand River?