Catfishing - Newbie To the Sport

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by StormCaster, Mar 17, 2006.

1. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I am new to catfishing. Mainly I have been a saltwater pier and surf fisherman for what seems like forever. Reading through the threads I am strucked by size of the catfish and the different kinds. I am from New York (downstate) and want a general idea of what types of rods & reels are good. Mainly I have a lot of conventional gear and some may or may not be suited for catfishing. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ty, I understand wanting to make sure you have the right equipment.

Question being, what TYPE of cats are you going to be targeting?

This is important because if you are going only for eating sized channels, you could use an ultra light rod/reel on up.

If you are going for eating sized blues or flats, well, ya might want something in the medium range.

If you are goin for the HOGS, well, I'll let someone who has caught a hog explain what you will need for them.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

There are many rod and reel combinations out there to choose from.

I prefer a Bait caster to a spinning reel, but that is your choice to make. I also don't use 2pc rods, I generaly stick with a 7' med heavey rod and use 40lb mono. Hooks and weights are another thing that you have to decide on. In a lake or pond setting you will need less weight than in a river (no current). I use 7/0 to 10/0 kahle hooks because they seem to be better to me than any other I have used in the past.

Keep reading and asking questions and you will come up with your own conclusion on what you will need for the size fish you are looking for.

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Welcome aboard, I hope you find the content on this site informative.

5. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Welcome to the BOC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I belive you will find what you are looking for here.

6. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    Welcome to the Brotherhood, Brotha. :cool:

If you got questions about cats that you can't find the answer to here, you're not gona find 'em anywhere....

Lucas

7. khensu0213

khensu0213 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Ty, Welcome to the best catfishing site on the net!

9. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. It is the best fishing site on the net! I did some research based on what I had learned from reading the posts here at the BOC. I chose the Abu Garcia 6500 and mounted it on a 7.5' medium heavy rod. Go the the library (archives) - there is a wealth of information in there!

10. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    welcome to the B.O.C. Keep asking questions and some one will help I am sure Just beware once you start catch catfish you will be hooked on them for life. Enjoy brother and good luck

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome aboard Mate!

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
  13. BoCaHoLiC

BoCaHoLiC New Member

State:
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Hi Ty and welcome to the BOC.

Here are a couple of past threads that may contain some helpful information.

<A HREF="http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10739&highlight=%22rods+reels%22">Spinning and Baitcasting fishing reels</A>

<A HREF="http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3694&highlight=%22rods+reels%22"> Whats your favorite Catfishing rod? </A>

<A HREF="http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8849&highlight=%22rods+reels%22"> Whats your favorite brand of fishing reel? </A>

<A HREF="http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9665&highlight=%22rods+reels%22">Ugly Stick fishing rods? </A>

If you can't find what your looking for there, just hollar back. Good luck.

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Welcome aboard! I hope u enjoy ur new fishing stlye!

15. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    welcome to the BOC,soak in the knowledge and catch some fish:)

16. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I will check up the links and greatly appreciate the advice from all those that responded. I think I have enough Abu reels to cover the spectrum, but I am more concern about application than the equipment. That is why your advice is a valuable source of information for a novice.

Tight lines <===><

ty

17. andi1950

andi1950 New Member

State:
    Belton, Texas
    Welcome to the BOC. I know you will like this site. I agree with JW on the one piece rods.

jerry

18. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I have been reading through and thanks Jerry & Andi.

Hmmm . . . who is JW? Sorry, I did not see his or her name in the thread.

Basically I am limited here and would like to travel to other states for catfishing in general. Love to see the great USA and wet a line. The biggest catfish up here I think is like 18" long. I have to ask another fella I fish with more about them.

19. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    Welcome to the BOC plenty of info here if you ask it ,you will get answers

20. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would almost bet your salt water gear is just what you need. Many bank fisherman use saltwater poles. If using a boat you may want shorter rods.

Good luck