Catfishing near OKC

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by snakeman455, Mar 29, 2007.

1. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I'm pretty new to catfishing and live in OKC. Any place close to get some good size cats??? Draper and Thunderbird are real close to me, not sure how they are though. Anyone know??

2. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    i suppose draper is ok???? thunderbird is excelent. go to the little axe campground and you should do good. me and a friend will be going around april 30th if you would like to go with us. i have a big pontoon and got the lowdown on where to catch them at little axe. pm me if you would like to go with us. i live in edmond, friend lives in moore.

3. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    welcome to the board, lot of good info here.

4. snakeman455

snakeman455 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Troy. I would love to go with you guys. I tried to pm you but said I couldn't until I had more posts.

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Troy,
    Curiosity has gotten to me. Where do you fish at Little Axe? I go to T-bird alot during the summer and that is where we always camp and fish. There's good Saugeye fishing to the left of the boat ramp there in the sand bowls.

I also wonder how the water level is. I got a letter in the mail from the MDA saying the "Big Catch" tourney was canceled this year. I am assumeing that it was because of the water level. Last year it was pretty bad. And this year I was told you could pretty much walk across the road bed.

I can put you on all the Crappie you want out there. Do you fish Crappie out there much?

Dave

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    If you like bushwacking and have some patience there is some good flathead fishing in the North Canadian. Nearly all the bridges east of the city are decent at times. Also, the river above Overholser is really nice.

As far as lakes go, I love Arcadia.

7. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    last year was our first trip to t-bird. met a guy by the name of bob, he is a retired boatswain mate chief. he put me on to the where and how to at little ax. over by the damn is a grated drain inlet. it has bouys marking it. bob says expect lots of crappie and big cats there. he had a 5'x5' freezer at his trailer that was full of crappie. he is there on and off all summer. my friend has friends who fish and camp little ax all year long. hope to learn more from them also. bob is from blanchard ok,you can't beat him and his wife. he asked me what i had for bait, i told him i had to get some. then he said no you don't and proceeded to use his throw net and got me 12 shad. everyone we met at little ax was good people. makes it a pleasant time, even if you don't catch fish. we will probably spend most of our time there this summer, down around site 42 in preferred camping.

8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Troy,

We will have to keep in touch. My family and I camp there ALL the time. Would be nice to have someone to fish with while we camp. We usually have some friends meet us out there, but new friends are always good.

Dave

9. troyedm

troyedm New Member

State:
    edmond oklahoma
    sounds good to me dave. we always enjoy the lake. my wife bj likes to fish as much as i do, and company is always a pleasure. i live about half way between edmond and guthrie, off waterloo rd and coltrane. we will go to thunderbird a bunch this year, so i will let you know when we are going to be there. me and my friend from moore ok. should be there the last weekend in april for a few days.

10. slickrick

slickrick New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Howdy Troy you might try Lake Guthrie that is a city lake and you pay $3 to fish it. But it has some nice cat's, well I see you have met some good friends at Little Ax. Well I met David at the Catfish Gathering 2 years ago up at Lake Keystone. If you can make it this year, you'll meet more good people!:cool2:

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The problem with Guthrie Lake is there is not an abundance of fish in it. Sure, it has flat heads that go up to 60 pounds, but not many of them... possibly just one. LOL There are some in the 20 to 40 pound bracket, but you may fish the lake continuously for two or three years before you hook one. Then there are some guys who it seems catch one or two big ones every time they go fishing, and they release the fish. I find that when I go to the Lake and fish from 4 to 6 hours, I'm lucky to get two bites... and feel lucky if I hook a fish about once a week. Liberty Lake, two miles SW of Guthrie Lake is a better lake, but the fish population is about the same. I really have to be bored or desparate, possibly both, before I will fish either of those lakes.

12. jacob

jacob New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    i fish at lake lottawatta witch is about 10 min north of guthrie lake and i average around 40 a day but theyr small.theres big cats in there but like guthrie your lucky to get one

13. okie gal

okie gal New Member

State:
    Okla. City
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the good info about Thunderbird and Guthrie. Flintman and I are really getting anxious to fish. I'm ready to have a fresh mesh of fish to fry up.

Okie gal

14. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Don't worry Jan, Keystone is only a month away!!!