Catfishing near Modesto

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by BLACK MAC, May 10, 2009.

1. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Hello,

Anyone have any good spots near Modesto?

I recently fished Mosdale landing it's nice, but has lots shallow spots if you start walking down the levee away from Manteca the bank (being so steep) almost makes it impossible to sit and enjoy being outside...

Thanks in advance...

2. KATFISH J.

KATFISH J. New Member

State:
    CALIFORNIA
    If I lived in the Modesto, I`d cat fish Lake Don Pedro, best after dark though on cutbait..... Or you can take hwy 133 go west out of Turlock and make a right on hwy 140 just past Stevenson you`ll come up to the SanJouquin River, there`s spots to fish right there with out houses, and it`s free, they call it Catfish junction..........Good luck........

3. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    I'll let you know how it went... thanks again

4. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Welcome to BOC! I'm not real familiar, but I know you can catch cats at the Tuolomne and Consumne Rivers and like Katfish J said the San Joaquin. I'd probably go with the San Joaquin myself. I know there are a few people in your area and will provide good feedback if they see this. There is a lot of good people and good info here. I have learned a lot in the short time since I have joined. Good luck out there!

5. BLACK MAC

BLACK MAC New Member

State:
    Riverbank Calif
    Thank you

6. RobotCatfish

RobotCatfish New Member

State:
    California
    I travel out to the Modesto area from time to time when the wife wants to visit the inlaws. I recently started exploring the area. I have tried the side of highway 132 in the San Joaquin and have gotten some pretty good results. Also, there is a RV park called 2 rivers RV park not too far from the 132 San Joaquin bridge (google should show you where it is). They offer day access camping and have a boat launch there as well. I have tried Dip bait, mackerel and butterflied shad with pretty good results. If you want to travel a little further... There are several places along the levee in Tracy and Stockton as well that you can fish from the bank. If you have a boat it is even easier to get to some good spots and you can just find a launch that is close to you to get you into the delta waters. I have tried Don Pedro once about a year or so ago, but found that the drive was a little long (I was going there from the Hughson Area) too bad I didn't bring my boat - the water line was very low and shore access was limited and difficult to get to.