Catfishing memories- Share yours!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flathunter, Dec 16, 2005.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I took up the sport of catfishing in 1979. Having nobody to teach me, I struggled with catching fish for several years. I knew nothing about tackle, hooks, knots, etc. I started out with a Zebco 404, size 1 snelled hooks and a few split shot. I did catch a few catfish in those early years, all channels. I had a few big fish snap my line, and over all, had a pretty good time. In approximately 1982 I purchased my first copy of Ohio Fisherman magazine, and realized there were other fish besides the fork-tailed channel cats in the waters that I fished. These fish were called "flatheads," and required different baits, sturdier tackle, and different fishing techniques.

I learned that flatheads were not scavengers and required live fish! My first flathead did not come on a rod and reel, but on a limb line. My fishing buddy at the time, Steve, and I, set out a dozen limb lines at a local lake. Our bait for the night was bluegill. I think we must've gotten lucky that first night. No sooner had we gotten the last limb line set up, then we heard a large commotion in the water. Running along side the bank to see what was going on, we found out that we had caught our first flathead! It weighed 20 lbs.

We quickly realized that we wanted to target these large fish with rod and reel only. Our first few attempts produced nothing. However, through perseverance, we eventually succeeded at catching flatheads on a rod and reel. The waters we fished were the same waters that we had, for several years, fished for channel cats, never realizing that the much larger flathead swam in the same water. Through the years, I lost contact with my buddy, and now have others that I enjoy fishing with.

My son Steven, named after my buddy, and my wife Rhonda, who is quite a trooper, wading through creeks with me at night and getting eaten up by insects. But she hangs in there, and allows me to keep baiting her hook for her. Catfishing for me is all about memories. And if you don't have that special friend or family member to share that "fish of a lifetime," or "the one that got away," then you're missing a piece of the puzzle. It also helps to have someone to hold the camera. Like my best friend and current fishing partner fellow brother H20 Mellon, we have created alot of good memories, that I can look back on throughout the years and I am sure they will bring a smile to my face..I hope we can make many more in the years to come!

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post brother, Thanks for sharing!

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well while your making memories, I'm busy catching FISH! :p You once were the teacher, but in '06 you'll be the student! :D

4. rednecksportsman511

rednecksportsman511 New Member

State:
    Birmingham, AL
    thats what i love about fishing and the outdoors in general, it makes memories of a lifetime and stronger friendships.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    heh my favorite memorie was when my daughter was little around 2 or so i caught this one got it up on the bank i was unhooking it and she says to me daddy your not gonna kill it are you hehe i had to let it go then as she got older she became my fishing buddy. now that she is pushing the big 30 she dont have time to fish with her dad anymore.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cant say this is my favorite memory but it stands out amongst others....we were fishin a sandbar in the gmr river in ohio on july 4 2003. it was really hot that day but the fish were goin nuts, by the time this storm snuck up on us i'd bet we caught 35 flatheads, two going 30 lbs. earlier in the afternoon a group of guys floated by in a 10 ft jon with a trollin motor. we took all the stuff we didnt want wet and headed back to the boat dock and threw everything else in the woods. figured we'd ride out storm in the truck. turned out this was a bigger storm than we thought! at the dock we could see these guys down river tryin to wave us down. after droppin my freinds off i headed down there and proceeded to tow them back to the dock. by now the river had white caps, was pouring, had 60+ mph winds and all i had was a 14 jon and a 9.9. at full throttle i wasnt moving forward hardly at all. there was one wave that came over the bow of my boat and damn near sunk me in 20 feet of water. by the time we got back to the dock my boat was half full with water and the river had rose about 3 feet. we all rode out the storm in my blazer for the next hour and a half tellin stories and watchin their video of the success they had earlier also. after it quit storming we had to dump the water out of my boat and retreive our stuff from the sandbar area. we had an obstacle course of trees logs and all kinds of junk going up river and by the time we got to the sand bar the river was almost in the woods. after we got back the owner of the land offered to take the guys and their boat downriver 5 miles to where their other truck was. that incident was one of the scariest i ever had on the water.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Bryan my friend, the only way you will outfish me in 2006 is if I have to work 7 days a week in the prime time... :D

8. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's not a catfishing memory, but I just burned you! Your wife will be wanting to kill ya! Take a look @ my new thread!

HA!

This will be a memory